The episode starts off at the end of the previous episode, "Homewrecker". Charlotte holds the detonator in her hand waiting for Chloe Decker to get in her car. Lucifer’s mum thinks that if she kills Chloe then Lucifer will agree to go home to Heaven with her and Amenadiel. However, Amenadiel shows up and convinces her not to kill Chloe, telling her that Lucifer would not rest until he found out who had murdered Chloe and that when he did find out, Lucifer would hate his mum for all eternity.
Lucifer goes to counseling. He tells Linda that he stood Chloe up. Linda says Lucifer chickened out. Lucifer is avoiding the truth — he is lying to himself about the reason that he did not go on the date with Chloe.
Lucifer shows up at Chloe’s house to explain why he was not at the restaurant. Chloe does not hear him out. She thinks he was with another woman and accuses him of being selfish and thoughtless. Before Lucifer can explain what really happened, Chloe’s mum, Penelope Decker, enters the scene and is overjoyed to see Lucifer, calling him thoughtful for being there on such a difficult day. It turns out that today is the first day of the trial against the man that killed Chloe Decker’s father. Lucifer drops the subject of the failed date night and says he is there to support Chloe and her mum: he says he will be “an emotional jockstrap for the Decker family jewels”.
Ella and Dan walk into the police station together. Per the previous episode, we surmise that Dan has slept with Charlotte Richards/Lucifer’s mum. Dan is whistling. Ella deduces that he got laid over the weekend. Ironically (for the audience), Dan calls the woman he slept with “goddess-like”. Ella says that maybe it was that woman who sent Dan a mystery package. Upon opening the package, Ella and Dan discover the severed head of Boris Sokolov, the key witness for the prosecution's case against the man that killed John Decker. Without Boris, the entire case against Perry Smith, the corrupt deputy prison warden that killed John Decker.
It turns out that Charlotte Richards (as Lucifer’s mum) is the defendant’s attorney. The judge suggests that the defense might want to move for a dismissal of the case since the state (prosecution) lost its key witness. At first, Charlotte/mum is confused. The state lawyer (bluffing) says that the prosecution has enough evidence to incriminate Perry Smith. The case is not dismissed. The prosecution then asks for a continuance for more time to build up their case since they’d lost their key witness. The judge denies the request because, as Charlotte Richards points out, the prosecution had said their case was strong despite losing Boris. A lunch break is called.
During the break, Lucifer confronts Charlotte/mum. It becomes clear that she is going to use this case to show Lucifer that Chloe is not deserving of his affections. Charlotte/mum believes that if she can show Lucifer that Lucifer has sacrificed more for Chloe than Chloe ever would for Lucifer, then Lucifer would decide to come home with Charlotte/mum and Amenadiel instead of staying in L.A. Charlotte/mum says that Chloe does not deserve Lucifer because Chloe does not care about Lucifer the way Lucifer cares about Chloe.
Charlotte/mum tells Lucifer that she did not have Boris killed but that she almost blew Chloe up but that Amenadiel convinced her not to. Lucifer is extremely angry and begins to threaten her (his eyes turn red).
Chloe comes over after the tense exchange and says she hopes that whatever “that” was does not affect the trial. Lucifer assures her that it will not and he leaves to speak with the prosecution attorney.
- "Devil's Got a Hold on Me" - El Grande
- "In the Air Tonight" - Natalie Taylor
- The episode's title is said by Lucifer.
- Even though Trixie is in one of the promo images for the episode, she does not appear in the aired version of the episode.
- When Chloe reveals that it's the first day of the trial of her father's killer as Lucifer repeats it, he implies that his father's killer is Nietzsche. This might be a reference to Nietzsche's famous quote "God is dead".
- It is worth noting Goddess is shocked when Chloe states (in court) that Lucifer openly claims to be the real devil. Clearly she did not expect a human to be nonchalant about that.
- Lucifer reveals he can speak all human languages, including currently dead ones.
- However, it is later revealed this is limited only to speaking, as he cannot, for instance, read Samarian. He claims this is because he values speaking more than reading, indicating this is not an innate proficiency, rather that he learned to speak all those languages.