|“||"Welcome home. So... How do you like the mess I made, Samael?"||„|
|— Michael to Lucifer Morningstar|
Michael is an archangel and Lucifer Morningstar's twin brother. After Lucifer made the selfless act of returning to Hell for all eternity, Michael grew jealous of all the praise he had gotten from their siblings and decided to mess up his twin's life on Earth to draw him back and prove he hasn't changed. When Lucifer eventually returned, Michael was given a scar ranging from his left eyebrow to his right nostril so he would never be able to impersonate his brother again. Michael then started manipulating everyone in Lucifer's life, turning Mazikeen to his side and exposing Lucifer's true identity to Dan Espinoza. In midst of a heated battle with his siblings, Michael's plans took a turn when God appeared to halt the fighting.
Biography[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
He is mentioned to have annoyed Amenadiel a lot with his tricks but always stopped when Amenadiel hit him with his "atomic wedgies". Having always despised Lucifer for being the preferred twin, Michael supposedly manipulated him into having a sexcapade in the garden and rebelling against God to make everyone hate him.
In 2011, Michael supposedly whispered the idea to Lucifer to take a vacation on Earth to reignite their family's hatred of him. However, Lucifer turned things around by winning over Amenadiel and helping Goddess move on to her own universe. Despite killing Uriel, Lucifer was actually praised when he returned to Hell to keep the demons in check when Kinley almost caused anarchy in Hell. In 2020, Michael grew angry his brother got praised; he decided to go to Earth and ruin the life Lucifer left behind.
Impersonation of Lucifer[edit | edit source]
Michael first appeared on Earth posing to be Lucifer during a shootout with a criminal, saving Chloe. Initially, upon his return, Mazikeen attacks him thinking he is Lucifer and gets a confession from Michael to reveal who he truly is, and she helps him in his plan to ruin Lucifer's life. Michael pretended to have an affair with Maze to manipulate Chloe and get her to sleep with him. In the penthouse, Maze confronts him to stop him from completing his plan. Michael chokes Maze out and hides her as he plans to spend the night with Chloe. As Chloe arrives she mentions she realizes he is not Lucifer and learns his true identity. differences are also noticed by Amenadiel, leading to his eventual identity reveal as Michael, the archangel. Upon finding this out, Amenadiel returns to Hell to inform Lucifer that Michael is on Earth attempting to take his life. Lucifer returns to Earth to find Michael in Lux, where they have a battle for who is the better brother; enraged by Michael's attempt to take his life and impersonate him, Lucifer uses a demonic knife and cuts a line through Michael's face starting at the top of his left eyebrow and ending at his right nostril, as a permanent symbol to prove he is not Lucifer.
Michael disappears following this, presumably to formulate a plan, and when Dan is heading back to his car after a night at Linda Martin's, he receives a phone call from Michael acting as Lucifer, telling him he forgot something at Linda's. Upon returning and looking through the window, Dan sees Lucifer's devil face and runs off. Later, Michael kidnaps Chloe and brings her to an abandoned zoo, locking her in a cage in the side of a mountain, and referencing a 'bigger plan' all along the way. Before this plan can be set into action, Lucifer, Maze, and Dan show up and free Chloe from her cage, and while Lucifer and Dan go to find Michael, Maze stays back and waits for him at the zoo. Upon Michael's arrival, Maze initially puts one of her knives to his throat, but they eventually work out a deal in which Mazikeen would help Michael achieve his 'bigger plan', and he would, in turn, give Maze a soul so she could eventually die. This marks Maze's turn from Lucifer's side to Michael's.
At the hospital where Charlie was just diagnosed with a cold, time appears to suddenly stop; this is revealed to be Amenadiel, doing a final test to see if Charlie is an immortal or mortal. Because celestials do not freeze during the time-stop, and mortals do, and Charlie froze, it is determined that Charlie is a mortal and not a celestial as Amenadiel thought who is then finding himself unable to continue time again. Michael then arrives to taunt them, a brawl occurs between Maze and Lucifer, and Amenadiel and Michael. Lucifer gets Maze down twice before she finally stays down, as the same with Michael but instead of staying down, he engages once more and all three of them reveal their wings, waiting to release their true power. Suddenly, God appears, halting the battle, saying "Children. You know I hate it when you fight".
Personality[edit | edit source]
Michael's ambitions largely involve causing havoc in Lucifer's life as well as those around him. It can be assumed that his reputation as a manipulator and deceiver is largely well known in Heaven, due to Amenadiel's open disdain for him throughout the series, most notable when Linda suggests naming their baby 'Michael'. Michael is also shown to have an extremely narcissistic and egotistical personality, believing himself to be better than his fellow angels which is shown when he brags to Amenadiel about being the closest to their father, and that he can do whatever he pleases. His open disdain for humankind also reflects the attitudes that many angels have once setting foot on Earth for the first time, which can be seen in Amenadiel's behavior throughout season one as well as Remiel's in season four.
Michael has shown to be very jealous of his twin brother Lucifer and has constantly tried to prove he is better and cause harm to his brother. However, when accused of being jealous by Mazikeen, he verbally denied such a statement. Michael is shown to be very manipulative, according to his own statements he manipulated Lucifer to start an affair with Eve and to even rebel against God. However, it's uncertain if this is true or a lie. He is skilled at picking at a person's weak spot such as taunting Lucifer by addressing him by his real name, making Linda remember her past mistakes which causes her to believe she's a bad mother, scaring Amenadiel over the illness of his son, and telling Chloe that she was made solely for Lucifer.
He has proven to be unreliable, constantly working an angle and sowing seeds of doubt in the minds of others. Using a web of lies mixed up with truths this makes it very hard to realize when he is honest. He is highly skilled in revealing fears in other people and using that to manipulate their actions to his gain.
He can be condescending to those he sees beneath him, as Michael called humans filthy in front of Lucifer and Amenadiel. He also looked down on his own nephew who is half human and half angel while taunting his brother but the possibility of the death of his son.
It is unknown what status he has with the rest of his angel brethren but the fact that he mentioned that everyone was giving Lucifer praise for being willing to go back to Hell, despite centuries of scorn, shows that he resented them for overlooking him. He also stated he did not intend to drag Amenadiel into the conflict of him and Lucifer but the latter got dragged into it anyway.
It is also unknown what status he has with his parents but the fact that he immediately stops fighting Lucifer and Amenadiel when God ordered it and appeared shows that he fears his father.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Archangel Physiology: As an Archangel, Michael is extremely powerful and has their physiology, including superhuman strength, speed, stamina, durability, endurance, agility, reflexes, resilience, senses, and intelligence, immortality, invulnerability, eternal lifespan, regenerative healing factor, flight, shape-shifting (being able to hide his wings) as well as their weaknesses. Michael is powerful enough among angels that even Amenadiel recognizes his power.
- Supernatural Strength: Michael is incredibly strong, capable of exerting high amounts of superhuman physical force, and has displayed vast levels of superhuman strength. He was able to smash a gun in half and he was capable of throwing a man's head through a wall. He has shown himself to be strong enough to hold his own against both Amenadiel and Lucifer at the same time, while also being overpowered several times. Michael has also proven to have considerable durability as he's able to take multiple punches, kicks, and elbows by both Amenadiel and Lucifer, not even succumbing to a chokehold by both of them at the same time. He and his twin brother Lucifer are shown to be roughly equal at full power, with Lucifer having a slight advantage. When Lucifer came back from Hell to confront Michael, their fight was mostly even and the two couldn't get an advantage over the other, although in the end, Michael lost due to being slammed into a stairway by Lucifer. Michael's ability to contend with Amenadiel, who is one of the most fiercest angels and equal in power with Lucifer, speaks for itself. Despite being overpowered multiple times, Michael eventually managed to get the upper hand in their fight at one point by stepping on his foot and headbutting him, but was unable to capitalize with a punch due to Lucifer intervening. He was then punched into the stairs of the LAPD building, but quickly rose to continue his fight with the two.
- Immortality: Michael, like all angels, is immune to age, diseases, viruses, infections, sicknesses, and disorders, having lived since the beginning of creation. He will live for all eternity without ever aging or decaying. he has eternal youthful beauty and will live forever. He also cannot die of suffocation, drowning, or poisoning. However, he can be killed by supernatural weapons or beings.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Michael, like all angels, is nearly indestructible and invulnerable to all mortal weapons and damage done by non-celestial or infernal sources. He was able to resist the gunshot fired by Chloe. He was also able to withstand blows from both Amenadiel and Lucifer.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: As witnessed numerous times all along with the show, Michael heals much faster than humans do. He can heal any injuries within minutes or an hour. He was able to quickly heal from the wound Lucifer inflicted on his face although it has not disappeared.
- Flight: Like all Angels, Michael has enormous, beautiful, dark wings that enable him to fly as long as he wants where ever he wants. His wings are extremely powerful, massive, and razor-sharp and can be used as a deadly weapon.
- Supernatural Reflexes: Michael possesses typical angelic reflexes because he was able to avoid certain shots of Amenadiel.
- Fear Exhibition: Michael can make people admit their deepest fears, similar to Lucifer's desire mojo. He also appears to be able to cause their fears to manifest. He seems to sense certain fears on an individual. There are moments where he didn't ask what they truly fear but be able to bring fear out of them.
- Body Chemistry Manipulation: Lucifer accused Michael to be the one responsible for simulating Charlie's common cold symptoms simply to psychologically torture Amenadiel.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Master Combatant: In contrast to what Lucifer and Amenadiel originally believed, Michael has become an extremely skilled combatant. As shown by him swiftly subduing Maze. During his fight against Lucifer and Amenadiel, he proved capable of holding his own against them reasonably well.
- Psychological Warfare Mastery: Michael is an almost unparalleled manipulator who specializes in using a combination of deception, hard truths as well as his opponents' fear to turn them against each other. This is evident by Mazikeen's shift to his side, Lucifer torturing himself for not being able to find Chloe, Dan's nervous breakdown as well as Chloe's existential crisis after revealing why she was created.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Demonic Blades: Lucifer was able to cause injury to Michael with a demonic blade.
- Other Supernatural Beings: Supernatural beings can harm one another. Both Lucifer and Amenadiel were easily able to physically harm Michael, with Lucifer restraining Michael without Michael being able to get out of his grip at the end of their fight while Amenadiel had the upper hand for the majority of their altercation and easily knocked him around with his blows. Even Mazikeen was able to at least temporarily restrain Michael, though she caught him off-guard and it was unclear how long she could have held him had she not released him first.
Physical Appearance[edit | edit source]
Michael's appearance is identical to Lucifer's. He was able to trick several characters into thinking that he is Lucifer.
After he is outed after posing as Lucifer, Michael's hair is slightly more unkempt than his brother's, and he now sports a large scar over his face which starts above his left eyebrow, crosses his nose, and ends at his right cheek.
He seems to possess some injury to his right shoulder, with it being noticeably higher than his left.
His angel wings are black in contrast to Lucifer's white and his right wing is slightly damaged, missing several feathers. This is shown even with his wings retracted, as his right shoulder is noticeably higher than his left.
Family[edit | edit source]
|To edit this section, go to Lucifer Morningstar/Family.|
- Solid lines denote blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|#1||"Really Sad Devil Guy"||Appears|
|#2||"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!"||Appears|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Amenadiel is known to dislike Michael to the point his name disturbs him. Linda Martin almost named Charlie, "Michael" in season 4 but Amenadiel decided against it because he knew Lucifer's disgust and anger at that name.
- During Michael's introduction, he is seen whistling the TV series's theme song.
- As was shown, his right-wing is damaged by unknown means, which is why he has his shoulder raised up.
- While Lucifer Morningstar can bring out people's desires, Michael can bring out people's fears. Lucifer also has pure white wings and a British accent, while Michael has pure black wings and an American accent which makes him his complete opposite.
- It might be possible while Lucifer/Samael is the Light bringer, Michael could possibly be the "Dark bringer/Night bringer" or Demiurgos like in the comics.
- Michael is an archangel in Jewish, Christian, and Islamic traditions. In the lore, Michael is the Archangel who defeated Lucifer in his rebellion and cast him out of Heaven.
- Unlike Lucifer, Michael is shown to be quite miserly and tight when it comes to money.
- After Michael is exposed, he starts wearing loose-fitting tweed jackets and turtlenecks, which is similar to one of Lucifer's looks in the comics.
- The scar Lucifer gives Michael with one of Mazikeen's Demon daggers is a reference to the comics where Maze scars Lucifer's face with a blade in a similar way.
- According to Tom Ellis, Michael doesn't have the liver that Lucifer has when it comes to alcohol and prefers to drink vodka, while Lucifer whiskey.
- Ellis also mentioned that while Lucifer drinks with his right hand, Michael drinks with his left.
- As Michael is not a favourite among the fans, even the cast (Tom Ellis included) don't really like Michael as much. So much that Tom himself suggests to do #michaelisadick
Links[edit | edit source]