|“||Welcome home. So... how do you like the mess I made, Samael?||„|
|— Michael to Lucifer Morningstar|
Michael is an archangel and Lucifer Morningstar's twin brother, who serves as the primary antagonist of Season 5 as well as a mentioned character in Season 4. After Lucifer made the selfless act of returning to Hell for all eternity, Michael grew jealous of all the praise he'd gotten from their siblings and ventured to Earth with the intention of ruining his brother's reputation and proving he hasn't changed. When Lucifer eventually returned, Michael was given a scar on his face so he would never be able to impersonate his brother again. Michael then started manipulating everyone in Lucifer's life, turning Mazikeen to his side and exposing Lucifer's true identity to Dan Espinoza. In midst of a heated battle with his siblings, Michael's plans took a turn when God appeared to halt the fighting.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 History
- 1.2 Impersonation of Lucifer
- 1.3 Moving the Plan Forward
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Weaknesses
- 5 Physical Appearance
- 6 Family
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Behind the Scenes
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Links
- 12 References
Biography[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Creation[edit | edit source]
Manipulating His Twin[edit | edit source]
He annoyed Amenadiel a lot with his tricks but always stopped when Amenadiel hit him with his "atomic wedgies"; Michael tended to give himself away with his mojo. Having always despised Lucifer for being the preferred twin, Michael supposedly manipulated him into having a sexcapade in the garden with Adam and Eve and rebelling against God to make everyone hate him. In 2011, Michael supposedly whispered the idea to Lucifer to take a vacation on Earth to reignite their family's hatred of him.
God's Right-Hand[edit | edit source]
Sometime after Amenadiel lost his divinity and became stranded on Earth, Michael manipulated his way into becoming God's second-in-command. And while God didn't speak directly to him, he ensured that he was the only one in Heaven to speak to him.
Michael's plan to turn their family against Lucifer took a turn. Lucifer was able win over Amenadiel and helped Goddess move on to her own universe. Despite killing Uriel, Lucifer was actually praised when he returned to Hell to keep the Demons in check when William Kinley almost caused anarchy in Hell. In 2020, Michael grew angry his brother got praised; he decided to go to Earth and ruin the life Lucifer left behind.
Impersonation of Lucifer[edit | edit source]
Doing the Research[edit | edit source]
Michael started doing research on his twin and learned a great many things; He knew about his relationships with the Los Angeles Police Department. Michael found out Chloe Decker was his first love and how she was a gift from God with the intention to cross paths with Lucifer. He also learned about his therapy sessions with Linda Martin. He did a great deal of research on Mazikeen, learning she was furious with Lucifer for not taking her with him to Hell and Lucifer's role in hiding her mother Lilith after striping her of her immortality. After copying Lucifer's style, Michael put his plans into motion.
Saving Detective Decker[edit | edit source]
His first stop being Chloe, Michael found her in the middle of a shootout in Megan Garner's house. Whistling, Michael entered the house, using Lucifer's accent to greet the "bad guys". After the confusion of who Michael was settled, he then acted quickly and saved Chloe from a gunman by pushing him into a nearby wall. After Chloe saved him by shooting the second attacker in the head, Michael finished off the last criminal by throwing him over to Chloe after breaking his gun in half.
After Chloe knocked the last criminal out, Michael took advantage of his knowledge of Lucifer's sarcasm and joked about Lee Garner's severed hand. Chloe then grabbed Michael and kissed him on the lips, to which he returned. Chloe soon let go, noticing something was off with "Lucifer". Michael claimed that since he's been in Hell for thousands of years compared to the two months she's been without him, he was now different, but assured her that she was the only thing that kept him going that whole time. The two then hugged, but unknown to Chloe, Michael smiled deviously to himself.
Recruiting Mazikeen[edit | edit source]
Initially, upon his return, Mazikeen attacks him thinking he is Lucifer, and gets a confession from Michael to reveal who he truly is, and she helps him in his plan to ruin Lucifer's life.
Identity Exposed[edit | edit source]
Michael pretended to have an affair with Maze to manipulate Chloe and get her to sleep with him. In the penthouse, Maze confronts him to stop him from completing his plan. Michael chokes Maze out and hides her as he plans to spend the night with Chloe. As Chloe arrives she mentions she realizes he is not Lucifer and learns his true identity. differences are also noticed by Amenadiel, leading to his eventual identity reveal as Michael, the archangel.
Brother vs Brother[edit | edit source]
Upon finding this out, Amenadiel returns to Hell to inform Lucifer that Michael is on Earth attempting to take his life. Lucifer returns to Earth to find Michael in Lux, where they have a battle for who is the better brother; enraged by Michael's attempt to take his life and impersonate him, Lucifer uses a demonic knife and cuts a line through Michael's face starting at the top of his left eyebrow and ending at his right nostril, as a permanent symbol to prove he is not Lucifer.
Afterwards, Michael meets Mazikeen at Chloe's home and offers to help her find out about a secret that Lucifer kept hidden from her; which was revealed to be about her mother Lilith.
Moving the Plan Forward[edit | edit source]
Manipulating Dan Espinoza[edit | edit source]
Michael disappears following this, presumably to formulate a plan which involves ruining Lucifer's life. When Dan is heading back to his car after a night at Linda Martin's, he receives a phone call from Michael acting as Lucifer, telling him he forgot something at Linda's. Upon returning and looking through the window, Dan sees Lucifer's devil face and runs off.
Placing Doubt[edit | edit source]
Later, Michael kidnaps Chloe and brings her to an abandoned zoo, locking her in a cage on the side of a mountain, and referencing a 'bigger plan' all along the way. Before this plan can be set into action, Lucifer, Maze, and Dan show up and free Chloe from her cage, and while Lucifer and Dan go to find Michael, Maze stays back and waits for him at the zoo. Upon Michael's arrival, Maze initially puts one of her knives to his throat, but they eventually work out a deal in which Mazikeen would help Michael achieve his 'bigger plan', and he would, in turn, give Maze a soul so she could eventually die. This marks Maze's turn from Lucifer's side to Michael's.
Family Squabble[edit | edit source]
At the hospital where Charlie was just diagnosed with a cold, time appears to suddenly stop; this is revealed to be Amenadiel, doing a final test to see if Charlie is an immortal or mortal. Because celestials do not freeze during the time-stop, and mortals do, and Charlie froze, it is determined that Charlie is a mortal and not a celestial as Amenadiel thought who is then finding himself unable to continue time again. Michael then arrives to taunt them, a brawl occurs between Maze and Lucifer, and Amenadiel and Michael. Lucifer knocks Maze down twice before she finally stays down from his powerful strike, as the same with Michael but instead of staying down, he engages once more and all three of them reveal their wings, waiting to release their true power. Suddenly, God appears, halting the battle, saying "Children. You know I hate it when you fight".
Personality[edit | edit source]
Michael's ambitions largely involve causing havoc in Lucifer's life as well as those around him. It can be assumed that his reputation as a master manipulator and deceiver is largely well known in Heaven, due to Amenadiel's open disdain for him throughout the series, most notable when Linda suggests naming their baby 'Michael'. Michael is shown to have an extremely narcissistic and egotistical personality, which serves as a disguise to his childish insecurities about Lucifer being the better twin. He believes himself to be better than his fellow angels, which is shown when he brags to Amenadiel about being the closest to their father, and that he can do whatever he pleases. Michael's open disdain for humankind also reflects the condescending attitude that many angels possess once setting foot on Earth for the first time, which can be seen in Amenadiel's behavior throughout season one as well as Remiel's in season four. Throughout the series, Michael is displayed to be extremely manipulative, self-seeking, and ruthlessly ambitious in pursuit of achieving his goals. According to Lucifer, Michael has always been cowardly in his tactics of manipulation, and would always receive his comeuppance from those that he deceived back in heaven. As time progressed, it is clear that Michael's sadistic nature has only grown since then, as he finds pleasure in using his nephew Charlie as a pawn to psychologically torment his brother Amenadiel. In contrast to Lucifer's "all bark and no bite" belief about him, Michael has proven to go at even greater lengths in acting on his threats as he manages to successfully damage Lucifer's relationship with Chloe, convince Dan to shoot Lucifer, and bring Maze to his side. His sadism carries on to his fighting style as well, as every time he gets knocked down or punched by Lucifer or Amenadiel, he can be seen grinning and laughing, seemingly thrilled by the pain inflicted on him.
Michael has shown to be very jealous of his twin brother Lucifer and has constantly tried to prove he is better and cause harm to his brother. However, when accused of being jealous by Mazikeen, he verbally denied such a statement. Michael is shown to be very manipulative, according to his own statements he manipulated Lucifer to start an affair with Eve and to even rebel against God. However, it's uncertain if this is true or a lie. He is skilled at picking at a person's weak spot such as taunting Lucifer by addressing him by his real name, making Linda remember her past mistakes which causes her to believe she's a bad mother, scaring Amenadiel over the illness of his son, and telling Chloe that she was made solely for Lucifer.
He has proven to be unreliable, constantly working an angle and sowing seeds of doubt in the minds of others. Using a web of lies mixed up with truths makes it very hard to realize when he is honest. He is highly skilled in revealing fears in other people and using that to manipulate their actions to his gain.
It is unknown what status Michael has with his parents but the fact that he immediately stops fighting Lucifer and Amenadiel when God ordered it shows that he fears his father and holds respect for him. It can also be assumed that he does not care for Goddess since he resides in Heaven and was mentioned by Amenadiel to be the closest to their father out of all their siblings currently.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Archangel Physiology: As an archangel, Michael is extremely powerful and has their physiology, including superhuman strength, speed, stamina, durability, endurance, agility, reflexes, intelligence, and senses, immortality, invulnerability, indestructibility, eternal youth, dimensional travel, and a regenerative healing factor.. He also has their weaknesses. Michael is powerful enough among angels that even Amenadiel recognizes his strength.
- Superhuman Strength: Michael is incredibly strong, capable of exerting vast amounts of superhuman physical force, and has displayed immense levels of superhuman strength. He was able to completely break a gun in half, smashing a man's head through a wall, and quickly and easily choking out Mazikeen. He has shown himself to be strong enough to hold his own against both Amenadiel and Lucifer for a short time. He and his twin brother Lucifer are shown to be roughly equal in strength at full power, though Lucifer is slightly stronger, and a better fighter.
- Superhuman Speed: Like all angels, Michael is extraordinarily fast, he is much faster than humans, demons, animals, and other beings, he can appear and disappear with a blink of an eye.
- Invulnerability: Michael, like all angels, is virtually indestructible, has a highly durable body, and he cannot be harmed by conventional means. Only things that could kill him are Demon Daggers forged in Hell and the Flaming Sword. During his fight with his brothers Amenadiel and Lucifer, he was able to withstand and quickly recover from most of their very powerful attacks, kicks, and punches. Michael, like all angels is significantly far more durable than demons, animals, humans, and most beings and creatures in the universe.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Michael, like all angels, has incredible superhuman reflexes, capable of dodging, and countering incoming attacks at immense speeds.
- Angel Wings: Michael, like all angels has divine wings. Like other angels, he can hide his wings and take them out at will.
- Flight: Like all Angels, Michael's wings enable him to fly. He can use his wings to fly to other dimensions such as Heaven, Hell, and Earth in a mere second such as when he appears to Dan in the cemetery in a holy bright light.
- Immortality: Michael, like all angels, is immortal. He is immune to aging and illnesses. Like his angel siblings, he is billions of years old.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: As witnessed numerous times all along with the show, Michael heals much faster than humans, animals, and demons. He can heal any injuries within minutes. He was able to rapidly heal from the wound Lucifer severely inflicted on his face from a demon dagger forged in hell although it has not disappeared, and caused a scar.
- Fear Exhibition: Michael can make people admit their deepest fears, similar to Lucifer's desire mojo. He also appears to be able to cause their fears to manifest. He seems to sense certain fears in an individual, and can quickly expose their fears, and can hypnotize them to admit any or all of their fears. There are moments where he didn't ask what they truly fear but be able to bring fear out of them.
- Body Chemistry Manipulation (possibly): Lucifer accused Michael to be the one responsible for simulating Charlie's common cold symptoms simply to psychologically torture Amenadiel.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant: In contrast to what Lucifer and Amenadiel originally believed, Michael has become an extremely skilled combatant. He was able to swiftly subdue Maze and Chloe within a matter of seconds. During his fight against Lucifer and Amenadiel, he proved capable of holding his own against them reasonably well. He has shown to be very relentless in a fight, constantly getting up despite being knocked down by Lucifer and Amenadiel multiple times. Before God arrived to halt the fighting, Michael seemed confident enough to fight both Lucifer and Amenadiel with their wings unleashed, showing that he may have believed that he could've defeated them on his own at full power.
- Psychological Warfare Mastery: Michael is an almost unparalleled manipulator who specializes in using a combination of deception, hard truths as well as his opponents' fear to turn them against each other. This is evident by Mazikeen's shift to his side, Lucifer torturing himself for not being able to find Chloe, Dan's nervous breakdown as well as Chloe's existential crisis after revealing why she was created. His ability to prey on the fears of his enemies indirectly gives him the power to weaken other angels due to their tendency to self-actualize, making him an extremely dangerous foe.
- Skilled Detective: While impersonating Lucifer, Michael was able to use his power of fear exhibition to deduce information from suspects in the murder case. Although not as experienced as Lucifer or Chloe, he was able to fulfill his role as a traditional detective without causing major suspicion, despite lacking his brother's unpredictable and impulsive attitude.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Demon Daggers Forged In Hell: Lucifer was able to cause injury to Michael with one of this daggers.
- Other Supernatural Beings: Supernatural beings can harm one another. Both Lucifer and Amenadiel were easily able to physically harm Michael, with Lucifer restraining Michael without Michael being able to get out of his grip at the end of their fight while Amenadiel had the upper hand for the majority of their altercation and easily knocked him around with his blows. Even Mazikeen was able to at least temporarily restrain Michael, though she caught him off-guard and it was unclear how long she could have held him had she not released him first.
- Self Judgement: It is mentioned throughout the series that all angels are able to self-actualize, which results in their judgements manifesting as psychosomatic changes, as shown with Amenadiel losing his wings and Lucifer regaining his angel wings despite cutting them off. Although the show hasn't directly mentioned Michael succumbing to self-actualization, one can assume that his fear of Lucifer being better than him causes him to develop an inferiority complex, which made him lose his fight with Lucifer at Lux.
Physical Appearance[edit | edit source]
Michael's appearance is identical to Lucifer's. He was able to trick several characters into thinking that he is Lucifer. Once exposed as a Lucifer imposter, Michael adopted a more causal look. While still mimicking Lucifer's fashion, Michael wears less classy fabrics, opting for cheaper and comfortable ones. The most notable difference is he replaces the dress shirt with a turtleneck. After he is outed after posing as Lucifer, Michael's hair is slightly more unkempt than his brother's, and he now sports a large scar over his face which starts above his left eyebrow, crosses his nose, and ends at his right cheek. He seems to possess some injury to his right shoulder, with it being noticeably higher than his left. His angel wings are black in contrast to Lucifer's white and his right wing is slightly damaged, missing several feathers. This is shown even with his wings retracted, as his right shoulder is noticeably higher than his left.
Family[edit | edit source]
|To edit this section, go to Lucifer Morningstar/Family.|
- Solid lines denote blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|#1||"Really Sad Devil Guy"||Appears|
|#2||"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!"||Appears|
|#4||"It Never Ends Well for the Chicken"||Absent|
|#10||"Resting Devil Face"||TBD|
|#11||"Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam"||TBD|
|#12||"Daniel Espinoza: Naked and Afraid"||TBD|
|#13||"A Little Harmless Stalking"||TBD|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||TBD|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||TBD|
|#16||"A Chance At a Happy Ending"||TBD|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Michael serves as the primary antagonist of Season 5.
- Amenadiel is known to dislike Michael to the point his name disturbs him. Linda Martin almost named Charlie, "Michael" in season 4 but Amenadiel decided against it because he knew Lucifer's disgust and anger at that name.
- During Michael's introduction, he is seen whistling the TV series's theme song.
- When visiting Lucifer Morningstar at Hell, Amenadiel mentions Michael being the closest to their Father currently as well as the only sibling that has a direct line to him. However in previous seasons, it was widely known and stated by Amenadiel himself that he was indeed God's favorite son, as well as main messenger. This may indicate that Michael has taken Amenadiel's spot in Heaven as God's favorite since Amenadiel no longer resides there, while also suggesting that he was prevented from moving up the ranks by Amenadiel when the latter would reside there.
- As was shown, his right-wing is damaged by unknown means, which is why he has his shoulder raised up.
- Unlike Lucifer, Michael is shown to be quite miserly and tight when it comes to money.
- After Michael is exposed, he starts wearing loose-fitting tweed jackets and turtlenecks, which is similar to one of Lucifer's looks in the comics.
- The scar Lucifer gives Michael with one of Mazikeen's Demon daggers is a reference to the comics where Maze scars Lucifer's face with a blade in a similar way.
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
- Michael is an archangel in Jewish, Christian, and Islamic traditions. In the lore, Michael is the Archangel who defeated Lucifer in his rebellion and cast him out of Heaven.
- According to Tom Ellis, Michael doesn't have the liver that Lucifer has when it comes to alcohol and prefers to drink vodka, while Lucifer whiskey.
- Ellis also mentioned that while Lucifer drinks with his right hand, Michael drinks with his left.
- Michael is not a favorite among the fans, the cast (Tom Ellis included) don't really like Michael much. So much so that Tom himself suggests doing #michaelisadick.
- Ellis has confessed that he felt like a fraud while portraying Michael. He mentioned that "Getting into character as Michael in the first instance was weird, because [he] really enjoyed it. But at the same time, [he] hadn't felt that way on this set for a long time, in that [he] was living in new territory for [him] as a character."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Links[edit | edit source]