|“||Self worth comes from within, bitches.||„|
in "Stewardess Interruptus"
Mazikeen of the Lilim, also known by her nickname Maze, is a central character in Lucifer. She is a demon from Hell who holds the form of a young woman. For millennia, she worked under Lucifer as one of his most trusted lieutenants and servants; he considered her his "right-hand." She is the best friend and former lover of Lucifer and formerly worked alongside him at the Lux nightclub in Los Angeles before starting a new career as a bounty hunter with the LAPD.
- 1 History
- 2 Throughout the Series
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Physical Appearance
- 5 Personality
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Links
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Maze is among the strongest demons who have existed for thousands of years, Mazikeen was one of the many and countless demons known as the Lilim, who were born from Lilith, Adam's first wife, and mother of Mazikeen and the countless other demons.
Shortly afterwards, Lilith abandoned Mazikeen and her siblings, then Maze and other demons became ruthless, brutal and fierce torturers of Hell, they learned the arts of torture by torturing Abel, the first soul in Hell who was murdered by his own brother Cain.
While Lucifer ruled Hell, she faithfully and loyally served him and tortured souls of deceased humans. Lucifer has called her "The most skilled torturer Hell's ever known" and "Hell's most brutal torturer". She was also tasked by Lucifer to torture Goddess while she was in Hell for thousands of years.
Living on Earth
When Lucifer left Hell, Amenadiel came to take Lucifer back but then his necklace was stolen. Lucifer summons Maze to Earth to torture the suspects and help Amenadiel find his locket. Under his orders, she cut off his wings. Afterward, she aids Lucifer in his various (mis)adventures in punishing the wicked, then she became the bartender of the Lux the nightclub, as servant and bodyguard of Lucifer. However, Maze feels that they don't belong to earth anymore, and need to go back to their home, which Lucifer refuses quickly. This caused Maze to leave Lux and take some time alone for a while to figure out where she belongs.
Back from her "getaway vacation", Maze tries not to care about everyone's problems, including Lucifer's.
Throughout the Series
|This section is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Sometime in the five years prior to the series, Mazikeen was in some manner helped by John Constantine, as a favor to Lucifer, and Constantine collected on the debt during the Crisis on Infinite Earths (The Flash S06E09), although Maze herself was not seen at that point.
At the start of Season 1, Mazikeen was working for Lucifer as an assistant and enforcer for Lucifer, and also working as a bartender in Lucifer's night club, Lux. She assisted Lucifer in various tasks and occasionally helping him with cases. She met her first human friend, Trixie (Chloe Decker and Dan Espinoza's daughter), in this club and even offered Trixie a Shirley Temple.
During Season 2, she decided to leave Lucifer. She ended up sharing an apartment with Chloe Decker and Chloe's daughter, Trixie. For a while she was searching for a job before deciding to become a bounty hunter, using the name "Mazikeen Smith". She finds joy in working as a bounty hunter because it lets her hunt down humans and get paid at the same time.
By the beginning of Season 3, Mazikeen is allowing her growing circle of acquaintance to call her 'Maze,' and her connection to Trixie and Linda is causing her to question her "soulless" status and detachment.
In Season 5 Maze tries to figure out where Lucifer Morningstar's ring is from. She convinces Trixie to ask Lucifer about his ring. She finds out that he got it from her mother and never told her, making her feel betrayed. She searches for Lilith whom she meets but dies soon afterward. Angry at Lucifer and her mother, she allies with Michael to hurt Lucifer.
After the birth of Amenadiel and Linda's child, Charlie, Maze begins experiencing abandonment issues from her own mother, the first demon Lilith. Maze is able to bargain with Trixie to ask Lucifer for the history/story surrounding her mother, and when Trixie repeats the story to her, Maze seeks her mother out. Maze finds that her mother abandoned her — and the other demons — because she believed she could give them a better life.
Maze's abandonment issues cause issues in her relationship with Linda when the two clash over Linda abandoning her daughter when she was seventeen. Maze is eventually able to see, however, that Linda too believed that giving up her child was the only way to give her a better life.
Powers and Abilities
- Demon Physiology: As a demon, Mazikeen is superior to humans, having supernatural powers. She is seemingly much stronger than other demons, however, she is not as powerful as Angels.
- Immortality: As a demon, Mazikeen doesn't age and has lived for thousands of years. Lucifer even explained that life in prison would be a mere timeout for her. However, demons do not have souls, so if she dies, she would be eradicated from existence. It is unclear though whether or not she can be killed, like other demons, by extreme mundane means, as she has never displayed any fear of mundane weaponry, indicating she is far more durable than the common demon, a fact further supported by the fact she can take punches from Lucifer without much problem, while other demons were taken down by one punch of his. She cannot die of old age, she can only be killed by celestial weapons, Flaming Sword, demon daggers forged in Hell, Angels, God and Goddess
- Superhuman Durability: As a Demon, Mazikeen is far more durable than humans. Mazikeen can withstand an immense amount of physical damage, and weapons such as guns, knives, and tasers cause her little to no harm. Usually, Mazikeen laughs at the idea that humans may hurt her, and after a punching duel with Lucifer, she was only moderately injured (while a single light punch of him is enough to knock a human unconscious and severely injure them), and could still walk, although it turns out that Lucifer was holding back a lot and despite being able to recover reasonably quickly from being palmed by him, another such attack, with Lucifer deciding to hurt her enough, effectively incapacitated her.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Mazikeen have shown to heal faster than humans, though still slower than angels. After her fight with Lucifer, she was shown to be already in a somewhat better condition after only several hours, however still in a worse condition than Lucifer.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all Demons, Mazikeen is much stronger than humans and animals. She can easily knock a human unconscious with a punch and she can lift up large men by their necks very high off the ground with only one hand, and shove them into a wall, she can break out of handcuffs with no effort, and she can single-handedly annihilate 12 large men in combat. While weaker than angels, she can still punch them hard enough to make them draw blood.
- Superhuman Speed: As a demon, Mazikeen can move far faster than humans and animals. In less than a minute, she went from being outside Linda's office to in her office which required her to leave the building and go through the window. Mazikeen single-handedly destroyed a street gang in about a minute.
- Superhuman Reflexes/Reactions: As a Demon, Mazikeen has far greater reflexes than humans.
- Superhuman Agility: As a Demon, Mazikeen is supernaturally agile, and she is able to move incredibly quickly and easily.
- Superhuman Senses: As a Demon, Mazikeen has better senses than humans and animals. She also appears to have better senses than angels, as, multiple times, she was able to detect things Lucifer hasn't noticed.
- Superhuman Intelligence: As a Demon, Mazikeen is naturally more intelligent than the common humans, as witnessed she is capable of quickly understanding even situations she has never handled before. She also has a vast amount of knowledge, due to her age.
- Shape-shifting: Mazikeen is able to change her appearance into a form she refers to as the Demonic Left Side of her Face. That form varies along the seasons. In Seasons 1-2, it manifests as a mutilated, monstrous, and scarred-looking version of her appearance. In "Sweet Kicks", Mazikeen reveals her demonic face in a mirror when Chloe Decker was asleep. S02E06, during Halloween, Maze shows her demonic face to Trixie. Like all demons, Maze can change her form, although only if demons are inside hell loops.
- Telekinesis: Mazikeen was able to summon her knife from a wall into her hand in order to fight Amenadiel. However, it is unknown if she can utilize this ability on any other object.
- Demonic Growling and Roaring: Like all Demons, Mazikeen has supersonic growling and roaring, she can growl and roar fiercely and very loudly, similarly to animals such as lions, bears, and tigers. To frighten a misbehaving child Maze perfectly imitated the sound of a vicious dog barking and growling.
- Demonic Possession: As a Demon, Maze can possess any recently deceased human being. Lucifer has forbidden Demonic Possessions because "someone" in the Silver City complained about it.
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant and Martial Artist: Mazikeen has shown to be an expert in various types of martial arts. She is a highly-skilled fighter and has shown to have brilliant armed and unarmed fighting skills. Though she was eventually defeated in her battle with the angel Uriel, she remained capable of fighting on equal terms with him for some time. She was even able to roughly stalemate and pummel Lucifer to a bloody pulp, although it must be noted she had beat on him before he wanted to fight back and he wasn't trying to hurt her too much. Maze can be very precise and surgical in her attacks, as noted by Lucifer when she targeted her opponents' weak spots, notably shattering a tibia, causing an orbital fracture, and crushing a humerus in "Sweet Kicks".
- Superhuman Athleticism: As a Demon, Mazikeen is in far better shape and a far greater athlete than the finest athletes on earth. She is an expert martial artist and a master in karate, boxing, muay thai, jiu Jitsu, kungfu, aikido, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, ninjutsu, eskrima, etc. She has the superhuman abilities to easily and effortlessly defeat multiple humans.
- Expert Stick Fighter: While in a bar fight Maze broke a wooden pool stick into two pieces and easily used them to defeat a large group of attacking men.
- Expert Knife Combatant: Mazikeen has shown incredible fighting skill with demon knives when she fought Amenadiel, though she was still ultimately unable to defeat the angel. She was also capable of holding her own against Uriel for some time before she was deprived of her knives. When fighting Lucifer with her knives, Maze was able to temporarily pressure the reluctant Lucifer but was easily defeated when he had enough.
- Persuasion: To a small degree, Mazikeen can convince people to make a decision that they think is their own.
- Expert Masseuse: Since Mazikeen can find most of the pain points in a human's body, she can also relieve the tension in them, making her a great masseuse.
- Expert Tracker: Mazikeen is an expert tracker, which is why Lucifer first brought her to Earth from Hell to help him track down the one who stole Amenadiel's necklace. This also the reason why she is so successful at her bounty hunting job.
- Bilingualism: Maze speaks her native Lilim in addition to fluent English, as seen in "Everything's Okay" and in "A Chance at a Happy Ending". But in reality, it's a derivative of the African language.
- Celestial Beings: Despite being a very powerful demon, Mazikeen has proven herself to be outclassed by Angels. Amenadiel, Lucifer, and Uriel have all proven themselves capable of defeating Maze. Once Lucifer stopped holding back and actually wanted to harm Maze, he was able to not only powerfully knock her down and stun her with a single light palm blow but the next time he did that, he incapacitated her. Even in a weakened state, Goddess was able to knock her out with a headbutt. Amenadiel was able to overpower Mazikeen in hand-to-hand combat.
- Gods: God and Goddess can effortlessly kill and eradicate Mazikeen and any other demon from existence.
- Flaming Sword: The Flaming Sword can instantly eradicate Mazikeen from existence.
- Demon Daggers Forged In Hell: These daggers can easily kill her.
In human form, Mazikeen looks like a young, beautiful woman with flawless, medium-dark skin, a slim, but sexy, model-like build, and gorgeous long dark hair.
She often wears sexy leather outfits and the color black. She wears her black hair in different styles, such as wavy, straight, ponytail, etc. However, when she reveals her real demonic nature, the left side of her face looks horribly scarred and mutilated. Whereas most people would find it revolting, Trixie thought it looked cool on Halloween.
Mazikeen was one of Hell's most decorated torturers, inheriting a rather sadistic composure and sense of humor. Despite being seen upset in multiple episodes, Maze states to Amenadiel that 'demons don't get sad, they get mad'. She always entertains whatever sadistic ideas Lucifer may have and is even turned on when Lucifer suggests torturing a Lucifer-wannabe in "The Would-Be Prince of Darkness", excited about how it is like he is "torturing [himself]". It is even implied that she is partially a sadomasochist, remarking about how she "likes pain". Unlike Lucifer, she preferred her position in Hell, having become dissatisfied with Earth and whatever fascination Lucifer has with humans and has even resorted to consorting with Amenadiel behind his back in order to make that happen.
Despite all of this, she is profoundly loyal to Lucifer and whatever decisions that he makes, having left Hell to look after him and always nagging him for his own well-being. In "Sweet Kicks", it is shown that she would even fight and kill on his request, having shown up to rescue him and Chloe when they were cornered by a street gang.
Mazikeen is similar to Lucifer in many ways. They are both supremely confident, persistent, relentless, sexy, beautiful, muscular, sarcastic, charismatic, charming, magnetic, powerful, and sexually attractive. Also, they both disregard many social norms. This is evident when she undressed an unconscious Dan and put him in Chloe's bed in hopes of getting Chloe out of Lucifer's life. Despite her bad girl attitude, she is revealed to be lonely, as she had no real friends until Chloe, Trixie, and Linda. She also shows that she may have real feelings for Amenadiel, as she chose to use Lucifer's feather to save his life.
During season 1, Mazikeen is a wrathful and ruthless bodyguard of Lucifer and his bartender, and seemingly she doesn't feel emotional pain and the only person whom she loved and protect was Lucifer, and herself, as she care for him.
She is openly pansexual, also sexually promiscuous and has admitted she has had lots of sex with both men and women, even women who identify as straight. It is also implied that Maze and Lucifer were lovers at one point in their lives.
In season 4, it's discovered Trixie had brought out Maze's more vulnerable side. Upon learning Linda was pregnant, Maze did her utmost to protect her and try to be a good aunt figure to her friend's child. Because of this, Maze admitted her mother was bad at parenting and sought to do better. She also became interested in companionship, eventually falling for a frustratingly oblivious Eve, who was too obsessed with getting back with Lucifer to notice.
Despite Maze calling Lucifer a bad friend, Maze has been, any many ways, a worse friend then Lucifer ever was. In response to Lucifer going back to Hell to protect those he cared for, Maze only thought of herself and was furious that Lucifer didn't take her with him, even though it was clear she had no intention in returning. After Michael offered her a chance to get a soul, Maze jumped at the opportunity, openly betraying everyone she considered a friend, for a third time, for her own interests, even though Michael had hurt and manipulated all of them.
However it needs to be kept in mind, that Maze always struggled throughout the series with her sense of identity. Therefore she can easily be bribed by Michael. It's not that she really wants to betray her friends, but she doesn't see any other option for herself to find answers. So even though Michael can temporarily convince her to work with him, Maze understands in the end that it is inevitable to feel pain and love at the same time with her soul and around her friends on Earth. This is also why she decides to get together with Eve at the end of season 5, despite the fact that Eve wants to stay mortal.
In an alternate universe created by God, Mazikeen never emotionally evolved due to Lucifer never meeting and becoming partners with Chloe, and due to Trixie not existing in this universe to help draw out her more caring nature. Instead, she wears half a mask, to presumably hide her demon face, and is in charge of a cult. Although the cult appears to be human, as shown when she burns the mask on a woman's face, it is unknown where the group originated from or how her relations with humans have evolved from.
|#2||"Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil."||Appears|
|#3||"The Would-Be Prince of Darkness"||Appears|
|#8||"Et Tu, Doctor?"||Appears|
|#9||"A Priest Walks Into a Bar"||Appears|
|#13||"Take Me Back to Hell"||Appears|
|#1||"Everything's Coming Up Lucifer"||Appears|
|#2||"Liar, Liar, Slutty Dress on Fire"||Appears|
|#7||"My Little Monkey"||Appears|
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Appears|
|#10||"Quid Pro Ho"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Appears|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Appears|
|#18||"The Good, the Bad and the Crispy"||Appears|
|#1||"They're Back, Aren't They?"||Mentioned|
|#2||"The One with the Baby Carrot"||Mentioned|
|#3||"Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith"||Appears|
|#4||"What Would Lucifer Do?"||Credit only|
|#5||"Welcome Back, Charlotte Richards"||Credit only|
|#6||"Vegas With Some Radish"||Credit only|
|#7||"Off the Record"||Appears|
|#8||"Chloe Does Lucifer"||Credit only|
|#10||"The Sin Bin"||Appears|
|#11||"City of Angels?"||Appears|
|#12||"All About Her"||Appears|
|#13||"Til Death Do Us Part"||Appears|
|#14||"My Brother's Keeper"||Appears|
|#15||"High School Poppycock"||Appears|
|#16||"Infernal Guinea Pig"||Appears|
|#17||"Let Pinhead Sing!"||Appears|
|#18||"The Last Heartbreak"||Appears|
|#19||"Orange is the New Maze"||Appears|
|#20||"The Angel of San Bernardino"||Appears|
|#21||"Anything Pierce Can Do I Can Do Better"||Appears|
|#22||"All Hands on Decker"||Appears|
|#24||"A Devil of My Word"||Appears|
|#26||"Once Upon a Time"||Appears|
|#2||"Somebody's Been Reading Dante's Inferno"||Appears|
|#3||"O, Ye of Little Faith, Father"||Appears|
|#4||"All About Eve"||Appears|
|#6||"Orgy Pants to Work"||Appears|
|#7||"Devil Is as Devil Does"||Appears|
|#8||"Super Bad Boyfriend"||Appears|
|#10||"Who's da New King of Hell?"||Appears|
|#1||"Really Sad Devil Guy"||Appears|
|#2||"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!"||Appears|
|#4||"It Never Ends Well for the Chicken"||Appears|
|#10||"Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam"||Appears|
|#11||"Resting Devil Face"||Appears|
|#12||"Daniel Espinoza: Naked and Afraid"||Appears|
|#13||"A Little Harmless Stalking"||Appears|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||Appears|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||Appears|
|#16||"A Chance at a Happy Ending"||Appears|
Maze lived with Chloe and Trixie. She particularly likes Trixie who is not scared of her and even looks up to Maze. Unfortunately, Maze upsets Trixie during her fight with Dan by calling Trixie a stupid little brat. Maze and Trixie meet again at the LAPD. As Maze tries to apologize, Trixie runs and hugs her, saying that she can't be mad at her.
She became close friends with Dan and was devastated when he was killed by Vincent Le Mec.
She's currently dating Eve.
Behind the scenes
- Mazikeen has worked with every main antagonists of every season or people who work with the main antagonists, betraying Lucifer several times in the process.
- In Season 1, she worked with Amenadiel, who resurrected Malcolm to kill Lucifer.
- In Season 2, she worked with Goddess briefly.
- In Season 3, she worked with Marcus Pierce to kill him and blame it on Lucifer.
- In Season 4, she worked with Eve, who helped William Kinley to escape captivity, which eventually resulted in summoning of demons.
- In Season 5, she worked with Michael to get a soul.
- In the comics, Mazikeen's original appearance showed the left half of her face to be horribly scarred and mutilated-looking. This is hinted at when we see her reflection in "Sweet Kicks", implying that she is purposefully hiding this physical quality in order to blend in. This is a departure from the comics where she prefers to look as she does but conceal her face when necessary.
- In the comics, she would hide her disfigurement from humans with a white mask that covered half her face. The Maze of the alternate universe shown in "Once Upon a Time" resembled her comic book counterpart, wearing a white mask over half her face.
- Her true face might be an allusion to Hel, The Norse Goddess of Death, whose appearance was described as half beautiful and half scarred.
- There is another example of this in the episode "Monster", Maze, and Trixie Espinoza go trick-or-treating. When Trixie asks Maze why she didn't bring a costume Maze responds that she did and changes half her face to the demonic way we can assume it would in hell.
- The show refers to Mazikeen as a demon. At the end of "Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith" her dossier is labeled "Mazikeen of the Lilim".
- The comics go in more depth, stating she is one of the Lilim, the children of Lilith fathered by various demons and angels, and that her father is the serpent demon Ophur.
- Mazikeen's character in the show departs almost completely from how she acts in the comics, where she behaves much more formally around Lucifer (referring to him almost exclusively as 'my lord' until the end of the series). But her devotion to him remains absolute, often being the one dispatched to accomplish tasks Lucifer himself cannot do himself for various reasons. And likewise, his confidence in her is equally strong as he often depends entirely on her to see a task completed in a timely manner.
- Maze was surprisingly able to find a potential partner in the human Ben Rivers, who chose to "live in the moment" like her. However, she wasn't able to go with him due to a bond with her friends.
- Mazikeen seems to be very powerful for a demon, as she was able to fight Lucifer on more-or-less even grounds (though it should be noted that neither of them actually tried to kill the other, and they fought simply out of mutual frustration.).
- Due to Maze being a Demon she does not possess a soul, therefore her death will mean the end of her existence, "That's it, lights out Maze". Because of this, she chooses to "Live in the moment". This also means the only way for her to travel between Hell and Earth is with the aid of a winged angel.
- However, said claim might not be true, as it was previously implied that demons do have an essence of sorts that can be eradicated by Azrael's Blade.
- If this is true, then she has unknowingly broken this rule as she was killed by the anti-matter at some point between 2011 and 2016 due to the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths before being brought back to life when the multiverse was restored.
- In "Everything's Okay", when Mazikeen speaks to Linda in Lilim, she is in fact speaking in Afrikaans. Translated, she says: "Can you understand me when I speak, because I want to speak with you, but I can't." ("Kan jy my verstaan as ek praat, want ek wil met jou praat, maar ek kan nie.")
- In Hebrew mythology, the name Mazikeen refers to a variety of minor demons.
- During Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 3 Lucifer reveals that he owes John Constantine for helping him out with something to do with Maze.
- The name "Mazikeen" is an Anglicized variation of a Hebrew name, Mazikin, meaning “those who do harm.” In Jewish mythology, Mazikin are invisible demons that cause annoyances or dangers.
- Maze has kissed Chloe in the episodes "Deceptive Little Parasite" and "Really Sad Devil Guy".