|“||I am with you, Lucifer, from now until the end. We're a team.||„|
| — Mazikeen to Lucifer|
Mazikeen, also known by her nickname Maze, is a demon who holds the form of a young woman. She is the best friend of Lucifer and formerly worked alongside him at the Lux nightclub in Los Angeles before starting a new career as a bounty hunter with the LAPD.
Maze is a demon and has existed for thousands of years. While Lucifer was the ruler of Hell, she served him and tortured souls of deceased humans. Lucifer has called her "the most skilled torturer Hell's ever known" and "Hell's most brutal torturer". She tortured Goddess, but Goddess didn't have any physical form, therefore the pain wasn't as powerful as it could've been.
Living on EarthEdit
When Lucifer left Hell, Amenadiel came to take Lucifer back but then his necklace was stolen. Lucifer brings Maze to Earth to torture the suspects and help Amenadiel find his locket. Under his orders, she cut off his wings. Afterwards, she aids Lucifer in his various (mis)adventures in punishing the wicked.
Throughout the Series Edit
|This section is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
At the start of season 1, Mazikeen was working in Lucifer's night club, Lux. She assisted Lucifer in various tasks and occasionally helping him with cases. She met her first human friend, Trixie (Chloe Decker and Dan Espinoza's daughter), in this club and even offered Trixie a Shirley Temple.
During season 2, she decided to leave Lucifer. She ended up sharing an apartment with Chloe Decker and Chloe's daughter, Trixie. For a while she was searching for a job before deciding to become a bounty hunter, using the name "Mazikeen Smith". She finds joy for working as a bounty hunter because it lets her hunt down humans and get paid at the same time.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Demon Physiology: As a demon, Mazikeen is far superior to a human, having augmented supernatural power.
- Immortality: As a demon, Mazikeen cannot be killed by ordinary means. She doesn't age and has lived for millennia or possibly longer. Lucifer even explained that life in prison would be a mere timeout for her. However, demons do not have souls, so if she dies, she would be eradicated from existence.
- Supernatural Durability: Mazikeen is much more durable than any human. She is mostly laughing at the idea that humans may hurt her, and after a punching duel with Lucifer, she was only moderately injured (while a single punch of him is enough to knock a human unconscious), and could still walk.
- Supernatural Strength: Mazikeen possesses far superior strength to humans; she was easily able to lift a grown man and shove him into a wall and singlehandedly break down a door. However, her strength is inferior to angels.
- Supernatural Speed: Mazikeen is able to move far faster than a human being. In mere seconds she went from being in the corridor outside Linda's office to being in her office which required her to leave the building and go through the window.
- Telekinesis: Mazikeen was able to summon her knife from a wall into her hand in order to fight Amenadiel. However it is unknown if she can utilize this ability on any other object.
- Animal Sound Mimicry: To frighten a misbehaving child Maze perfectly imitated the sound of a vicious dog barking and growling.
- Demonic Possession:As a Demon, Maze can possess a recently deceased human being. Lucifer has forbid Demonic Possessions because "someone" in the Silver City complained about it.
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Mazikeen has shown great, unarmed fighting skill. While she was defeated, she was capable of fighting Uriel on equal terms for some time.
- Expert Stick Fighter: While in a bar fight Maze broke a wooden pool stick in two pieces and easily used them to defeat a group of attacking men.
- Expert Knife Combatant: Mazikeen has also shown great fighting skill with demon knives when she fought Amenadiel, though she was still ultimately unable to defeat the angel. She was also capable of holding her own against Uriel for some time before she was deprived of her knives.
- Persuasion: To a small degree, Mazikeen can convince people to make a decision that they think is their own.
- Expert Masseuse: Since Mazikeen can find most of the pain points in a human's body, she can also relieve the tension in them, making her a great masseuse.
- Tracking: Mazikeen is an expert tracker, which is why Lucifer first brought her to Earth from Hell to help him track down the one who stole Amenadiel's necklace. This also the reason why she is so successful at her bounty hunting job.
In human form, Mazikeen looks like a young, beautiful woman with medium dark skin. She often wears leather outfits and the color black. She wears her black hair in different styles, such as wavy, straight, ponytail, etc. However, when she reveals her real demonic nature, the left side of her face looks horribly scarred and mutilated. Whereas most people would find it revolting, Trixie thought it looked cool on Halloween.
Mazikeen was one of Hell's most decorated torturers, inheriting a rather sadistic composure and sense of humor. Despite being seen upset in multiple episodes, Maze states to Amenadiel that 'demons don't get sad, they get mad'. She always entertains whatever sadistic ideas Lucifer may have and is even turned on when Lucifer suggests torturing a Lucifer-wannabe in "The Would-Be Prince of Darkness", excited about how it is like he is "torturing [himself]". It is even implied that she is partially a sadomasochist, remarking about how she "likes pain". Unlike Lucifer, she preferred her position in Hell, having become dissatisfied with Earth and whatever fascination Lucifer has with humans, and has even resorted to consorting with Amenadiel behind his back in order to make that happen.
Despite all of this, she is profoundly loyal to Lucifer and whatever decisions that he makes, having left Hell to look after him and always nagging him for his own well-being. In "Sweet Kicks", it is shown that she would even fight and kill on his request, having shown up to rescue him and Chloe when they were cornered by a street gang.
Mazikeen is similar to Lucifer in many ways. They are both confident, sexy, and sarcastic. Also, they both disregard many social norms. This is evident when she undressed an unconscious Dan and put him in Chloe's bed in hopes of getting Chloe out of Lucifer's life. Despite her bad girl attitude, she is revealed to be lonely, as she had no real friends until Chloe, Trixie, and Linda. She also shows that she may have real feelings for Amenadiel, as she chose to use Lucifer's feather to save his life.
She is also sexually promiscuous and has admitted she has had lots of sex with both men and women; Maze is so good she can turn a straight woman. It is also implied that Maze and Lucifer were lovers at one point in their lives.
In season 4, its discovered Trixie had brought out Maze's more vulnerable side. Upon learning Linda was pregnant, Maze did her utmost to protect her and try to be a good aunt figure to her friend's child. Because of this, Maze admitted her mother was bad at parenting and sought to do better. She also became interested in companionship, eventually falling for a frustratingly oblivious Eve, who was too obsessed with getting back with Lucifer to notice.
In an alternate universe created by God, Mazikeen never emotionally evolved due to Lucifer never meeting and becoming partners with Chloe, and due to Trixie not existing in this universe to help draw out her more caring nature. Instead she wears half a mask, to presumably hide her demon face, and is in charge of a cult.
|#2||"Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil."||Appears|
|#3||"The Would-Be Prince of Darkness"||Appears|
|#8||"Et Tu, Doctor?"||Appears|
|#9||"A Priest Walks Into a Bar"||Appears|
|#13||"Take Me Back to Hell"||Appears|
|#1||"Everything's Coming Up Lucifer"||Appears|
|#2||"Liar, Liar, Slutty Dress on Fire"||Appears|
|#7||"My Little Monkey"||Appears|
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Appears|
|#10||"Quid Pro Ho"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Appears|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Appears|
|#18||"The Good, the Bad and the Crispy"||Appears|
|#1||"They're Back, Aren't They?"||Mentioned|
|#2||"The One with the Baby Carrot"||Mentioned|
|#3||"Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith"||Appears|
|#4||"What Would Lucifer Do?"||Credit only|
|#5||"Welcome Back, Charlotte Richards"||Credit only|
|#6||"Vegas With Some Radish"||Credit only|
|#7||"Off the Record"||Appears|
|#8||"Chloe Does Lucifer"||Credit only|
|#10||"The Sin Bin"||Appears|
|#11||"City of Angels?"||Appears|
|#12||"All About Her"||Appears|
|#13||"Til Death Do Us Part"||Appears|
|#14||"My Brother's Keeper"||Appears|
|#15||"High School Poppycock"||Appears|
|#16||"Infernal Guinea Pig"||Appears|
|#17||"Let Pinhead Sing!"||Appears|
|#18||"The Last Heartbreak"||Appears|
|#19||"Orange is the New Maze"||Appears|
|#20||"The Angel of San Bernardino"||Appears|
|#21||"Anything Pierce Can Do I Can Do Better"||Appears|
|#22||"All Hands on Decker"||Appears|
|#24||"A Devil of My Word"||Appears|
|#26||"Once Upon a Time"||Appears|
|#2||"Somebody's Been Reading Dante's Inferno"||Appears|
|#3||"O, Ye of Little Faith, Father"||Appears|
Maze lives with Chloe and Trixie. She particularly likes Trixie who is not scared of her and even looks up to Maze. Unfortunately, Maze upsets Trixie during her fight with Dan by calling Trixie a stupid little brat.
After departed away for a moment, both of Maze and Trixie meet again at the LAPD. As Maze trying to apologize, Trixie running and hug her, saying that she can't never be mad at her.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the comics, Mazikeen's original appearance showed the left half of her face to be horribly scarred and mutilated-looking. This is hinted at when we see her reflection in "Sweet Kicks", implying that she is purposefully hiding this physical quality in order to blend in. This is a departure from the comics where she prefers to look as she does but conceal her face when necessary.
- The show refers to Mazikeen as a demon. At the end of "Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith" her dossier is labelled "Mazikeen of the Lilim".
- The comics goes in more depth, stating she is one of the Lilim, the children of Lilith fathered by various demons and angels, and that her father is the serpent demon Ophur.
- Mazikeen's character in the show departs almost completely from how she acts in the comics, where she behaves much more formally around Lucifer (referring to him almost exclusively as 'my lord' until the end of the series). But her devotion to him remains absolute, often being the one dispatched to accomplish tasks Lucifer himself cannot do himself for various reasons. And likewise his confidence in her is equally strong as he often depends entirely on her to see a task completed in a timely manner.
- Maze was surprisingly able to find a potential partner in the human Ben Rivers, who chose to "live in the moment" like her. However, she wasnt able to go with him due to bond with her friends.