Hell, also known as the Underworld, is the fearsome, infernal realm inhabited by demons and the tortured souls of all deceased sinners.
It is unknown who currently runs Hell, as its former ruler, Lucifer Morningstar, left it for Earth, where he now runs Lux, a nightclub in Los Angeles. According to Amenadiel, after Lucifer's departure, he had been rousing up and returning all of the damned back to hell, preventing them from returning to Earth, implying that he is now in charge.
After Lucifer was cast out of Heaven and into Hell, he became its ruler up until 2011, when he abdicated his throne and retired to L.A. to open the nightclub Lux. Amenadiel was forced to descend into Hell in order to keep the damned souls from escaping.
Mortals who commit mortal sins end up in Hell to be punished for all eternity.
According to Malcolm, one of Hell's methods of torture is using what one loves against them when they are damned. When Malcolm was in Hell, he was tossed into a room where his tormentors starved him and isolated him from the outside. Malcolm also states that time in Hell runs differently, as thirty seconds there was like thirty years for him.
It was revealed that Goddess, the wife of God and mother of the Angels as well as a god who is as old and strong as he is, was trapped in hell after repeatedly trying to kill the humans in her rage and therefore making God strip her of her powers through unknown means and having Amenadiel take her to Hell. Feeling betrayed due to not having been helped by his mother, Lucifer returned the favor by having Mazikeen torture her. However, after Amenadiel was incapacitated after barely surviving being stabbed by one of Maze's Demon Blades, Goddess was able to escape to Earth.
In "Off the Record", Lucifer revealed to Reese Getty information that he had never told to any human soul before. Lucifer is not the one who decides who goes to Hell and it is humans and their own guilt that puts them there. He also tells Reese that the doors in Hell are unlocked and they can leave, but "no one ever does".
|#13||"Take Me Back to Hell"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#7||"Off the Record"||Appears|
Current Inhabitants Edit
Former Inhabitants Edit
- Lucifer Morningstar (abandoned)
- Mazikeen (abandoned)
- Goddess (escaped)
- Charlotte Richards (resurrected)
- Abel (temporarily revived)
- Punishments in Hell vary:
- Malcolm mentioned he was completely isolated and starved.
- Jason is stuck in a loop reliving abandoning the kid in the taxi and getting attacked by onlookers.
- Abel's loop involves him trying to find women and then Cain showing up and killing him.
- Reese is stuck in a loop of waking up from an accident and meeting Lucifer to his own death. He seems to be exempt from remembering his loops.
- Lucifer implies in "Off the Record" that a soul being punished in hell can leave for Heaven any time. This is further implied in "A Good Day to Die" when Lucifer says the only way a soul can find the door to leave their loop is to believe they don't deserve their punishment anymore.
- Reese shows that if a guilty soul feels they've done enough good upon their death, their loop is quite benign.
- Abel was the first soul in Hell.
- In "Pilot", Lucifer tells a young girl that there is "a special section of Hell reserved for bullies".
- In "Sin-Eater", Lucifer jokes that he reserves burning crotches to the "truly terrible in Hell", giving the examples of pedophiles, Nazis, and people who put their seats back on planes.
- In "Lady Parts", Lucifer says women who take advantage of other women and fake friendships have a special place in Hell.
- In "City of Angels?", Lucifer says masochists are tricky to torture as they enjoy pain.
- Near the end of "Trip to Stabby Town", Lucifer joked to Linda, "So, we can you know, talk about Caligula, Stalin, Trump. I mean, I know he's not dead, but he's definitely going."
- In "The Good, the Bad and the Crispy", Lucifer says sinners who fear hair are tortured with wigs.
- In "What Would Lucifer Do?", Lucifer mentions one soul in Hell who was a masochist and would ask Lucifer for torture. When Lucifer missed one day, the soul cried and begged Lucifer not to forget about him again.
- In "Vegas With Some Radish", Lucifer revealed to Ella that Hitler is a screamer when he is tortured in Hell.
- In "City of Angels?", Lucifer jokes that Bieber's music is played in Hell to torture souls.
- Hell is presumably exactly the same in the alternate universe as in the normal universe. The only differences would be that Amenadiel is still keeping check of Hell and some inhabitants may be different.