|“||You know that if you had possessed the Flaming Sword, the weapon that guarded Eden, the weapon that can cut through anything, even the Gates of Heaven itself, well, you would've won that rebellion.||„|
|— Goddess to Lucifer|
in "Candy Morningstar"
The Flaming Sword is a phenomenally powerful divine weapon. God split the sword into three pieces during Lucifer's rebellion. The Flaming Sword is the most powerful weapon in the universe. The Flaming Sword is a divine weapon, powerful enough that it can eradicate any being in the universe, including gods (at least while they are in a weakened state). The weapon has the power to cut through virtually anything, including, as proven by Lucifer, the fabric of reality.
Another piece, the Medallion of Life, was left on Earth. It was found by Earl Johnson and is capable of healing and grants divine knowledge.
The third piece, The Key, binds the parts together. It was left in the possession of 'God's Favorite Son' and was discovered to be the necklace worn by Amenadiel. It is capable of lending its strength to whoever holds it, making humans strong enough to even defeat an angel as strong as Michael.
When all of the pieces are combined, the sword's flames will extend to the size and shape of an entire sword's length.
The Flaming Sword is also a known weapon in the Hebrew and Christian Bibles.
The Flaming Sword is the weapon that guarded Eden. However, during Lucifer's rebellion, God split the sword into three pieces, thinking that Lucifer would use it against him. Most, including Lucifer, believed the weapon to be destroyed.
Throughout the Series
The blade became a possession of Azrael's, one of Lucifer and Uriel's sisters. Before Uriel came to Earth, he stole his sister's blade. He intended to use it to permanently kill their mother. However, after battling against Lucifer and Maze, he was killed by Lucifer using the blade.
In "Trip to Stabby Town", Goddess angers Lucifer, who is holding the blade in his hands. The Goddess then sees it catching fire.
In "A Good Day to Die", Lucifer's Hell loop involves him repeatedly killing Uriel with Azrael's Blade due to his guilt over killing his brother.
In "Candy Morningstar", Goddess revealed that the blade was actually the Flaming Sword that Lucifer had believed was destroyed. Goddess said that the sword can cut through anything, even the Gates of Heaven, and that Lucifer would have won during his rebellion if he had possessed the blade.
In "God Johnson" it was revealed that Azrael's blade is only one of the pieces of the Flaming Sword. Another piece was accidentally found by Earl Johnson, a human, in a Navajo gift shop. It grants the holder divine knowledge, immunity and healing abilities.
In "Sympathy for the Goddess", from an ancient text written in Sumerian, Amenadiel learns that God separated the blade into three pieces which are: Azrael's Blade "The Blade of Death", Johnson's Belt Buckle "The Medallion of Life", and the third piece is the key that binds the parts together and was entrusted to God's Favorite Son. Amenadiel initially thought that the ring Lucifer always wore was that key since he believed Lucifer to be God's Favorite Son, but while the two were squabbling, Lucifer noticed that the ornament Amenadiel was wearing around his neck was floating towards the sword.
In "The Good, the Bad and the Crispy", Lucifer assembled all of the pieces and the Flaming Sword revealed its true form as a large sword of fire. Lucifer refused to use the sword to return Goddess to Heaven as war would break out and many angels would die. Instead, Lucifer used the sword to open a tear in the universe into a void and asked Goddess to go through and create a new universe for herself. He says to her, "going home, that's not starting over that's going backwards. And that's not good for anyone. So it's time for you to move forward." Not wanting the death that would come from the war, Goddess left Charlotte's body and went through the tear. Lucifer then removed the key from the sword and tossed its other pieces through the tear into the void before the rift closed.
In "They're Back, Aren't They?", Lucifer returned Amenadiel's necklace to him.
In "City of Angels?", during the flashback of when Lucifer came to Los Angeles, Amenadiel tries to take Lucifer back to hell but while doing so he was shot and robbed of his necklace.
In "Super Bad Boyfriend", Amenadiel got to know Caleb when he wanted out for dealing drugs. He became a father figure to Caleb and helped him when he was accused of murder. Caleb's death deeply affected Amenadiel and to honor him, he gave Caleb his necklace.
In "Nothing Lasts Forever", Gabriel steals Azrael's Blade and the Medallion of Life from Goddess' new universe while delivering a message to her on Lucifer's behalf. Gabriel subsequently delivers the two pieces of the Flaming Sword to Michael.
In "Is This Really How It's Going To End?!", Michael hires French mercenaries to hunt for the key which was stolen from Caleb's body and ended up in the hands of a man named TJ Ross. Dan Espinoza investigates the case, leading to his murder at the hands of the mercenaries. Lucifer and Amenadiel subsequently put together what happened to the key and that Michael is attempting to reassemble the Flaming Sword to win the coming war.
In "A Chance at a Happy Ending", Michael finishes assembling the blade after retrieving the key. During his fight with Lucifer, Michael wields the Flaming Sword while Lucifer uses a staff made out of the Tree of Life with which he manages to counter the Sword for awhile before its finally broken. Eventually, Lucifer and Chloe Decker manage to separate the blade and the key, but Michael kills Chloe. Following Chloe's death, Michael becomes too distracted to retrieve the key from her as Lucifer's friends and Michael's followers battle it out and Lucifer travels into Heaven to retrieve Chole.
After Lucifer resurrects her, Chloe realizes that the key is still in her hand and it grants her superhuman strength that allows Chloe to knock Michael around with just one hand. As Chloe prepares to kill Michael with Azrael's Blade, Lucifer returns and stops her. Defeated, Michael accepts what he believes to be his execution only to have Lucifer use the Flaming Sword to cut off his wings instead. After the other angels kneel before him as the new deity, Lucifer raises the Flaming Sword into the air and mutters "oh my Me."
The powers of Azrael's Blade include:
- Eradication: When a living being is stabbed by Azrael's Blade, their very essence would be wiped out of existence, completely eradicating them from reality. However, in "Trip to Stabby Town", Lucifer implied that only celestial beings (demons, angels, etc.) killed by the blade are eradicated, and that humans killed by the blade simply die.
- Enticement: It holds the power to beckon to the one holding the blade to fulfill its purpose: murder. Celestial beings have the strength to resist its call, but most humans are not quite as capable; it would take someone with immense willpower to fight off the blade's seduction.
- Pyrokinesis: The blade can ignite, although this capability is severely reduced due to not being in its true form. This is displayed in "Trip to Stabby Town" and in "Deceptive Little Parasite", when Lucifer held the blade while angry and feeling intense emotional pain.
- Extreme Sharpness: Even in the hands of Dan, a human, it was able to easily cut through solid marble.
The medallion's powers include:
- Divine Knowledge: Since humans are not meant to wield it, it takes over the mind of the human possessing it and give them temporary awareness of the divine and the memories God had at the time of the object's creation.
- This partial memory only stretches back to a time prior to Lucifer's rebellion as Earl Johnson had the ability to recognize Lucifer without introduction by calling him Samael, yet lacks memories of Lucifer's rebellion and of Goddess's banishment to Hell.
- Immunity: It gives the holder certain immunity, e.g. from drugs. It will also shield its mortal wielder from Lucifer's gift to compel the truth out of people.
- Healing: It gives the holder the power to heal people from grave injures.
The Key's powers include:
- Levitation: The key is drawn towards the Sword and will levitate towards and point to other two pieces while in close proximity to the other two pieces.
- Super Strength: The key, being the strength that binds the Sword together, lends its strength to whoever holds it. It allowed a man to resist two attacking angels, only dying when Michael caught him by surprise from behind. While holding the key in her hand, Chloe Decker was strong enough to throw Michael around with just one hand and beat him into submission despite Michael's immense power.
- Superhuman Stamina: The key gives humans stamina comparable to that of an angel, noted that it doesn't confer anything if the person already possesses supernatural strength.
Combined, the Flaming Sword, has the additional powers:
- Dimensional Slicing: The Sword can cut through time and space, creating a portal to a universe-sized void.
- Absolute Sharpness: When complete, it's said to be able to cut through anything, even the Gates of Heaven, and was seen to be able to cut through the very fabric of space.
- Absolute Immunity: Whoever is armed with this sword is immune to all the powers, even the all power of God or the Goddess. It's this power that forced God to divide the sword into 3 parts after the Lucifer rebellion, because if Lucifer had had it at that time, he would have won.
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Appears|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Appears|
|#18||"The Good, the Bad and the Crispy"||Appears|
|#1||"They're Back, Aren't They?"||Mentioned|
|#18||"The Last Heartbreak"||Mentioned|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||Appears|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||Appears|
|#16||"A Chance at a Happy Ending"||Appears|
- The appearance of the blade changed from its initial debut in subsequent episodes.
- Lucifer could ignite Azrael's blade by allowing himself to feel the emotional pain he was avoiding.