Demons are powerful, malevolent entities inhabiting Hell. There is only one known demon currently residing on Earth, Mazikeen. Demons generally reside in Hell, alongside the souls of deceased unrighteous mortals. Though powerful, they are known to be weaker to angels.
It is unknown exactly when demons were created, although some were the offspring of Lilith, Adam's first wife. Their purpose, however, was torturing the souls of the mortals that weren't worthy of Heaven, and some had the extra task of assisting Lucifer in his goals. Mazikeen is the only known demon to have continued to assist Lucifer after his departure from Hell.
After Lucifer's abdication, demons continued to serve their purposes in Hell, even without Lucifer there to rule over them. It is implied by Amenadiel that it was he himself who restored order after Lucifer decided to abandon Hell, which further implies that he was the ruler of the demons that reside in Hell. After his fall, it is unknown who controls the demons in Hell.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Immortality: Demons have an indefinite lifespan. However, demons do not have souls and would be eradicated from existence if killed. Unlike angels, they can be killed through ordinary means as revealed in "Who's da New King of Hell?", "it just takes a little extra oomph."
- Superhuman Strength: Demons possess far superior strength to a human being, but seemingly inferior to that of an angel, like Amenadiel.
- Superhuman Speed: Demons are able to move far faster than humans, able to move across a room in a second.
- Telekinesis: Mazikeen was able to summon her knife in order to fight Amenadiel. However, it is unknown if she can use telekinesis on any other object.
- Possession: Demons are able to possess the body of a recently deceased human, but can only do so for the bodies of doomed souls that were sent to Hell, otherwise they will not know where or when a vacant body is available. They also only have access to this ability while they themselves are in Hell. Any body they possess will obtain the traits that they have such as enhanced strength and durability.
- Pain Resistance: Only while possessing a human body, demons will be immune to pain as they are only renting their bodies. Mazikeen still feels pain because she came to Earth in her own body when Lucifer flew her to Earth from hell.
- Unlike angels and humans, demons don't have souls. Maze said that if she ever dies, there is no coming back for her from the dead.
- Unlike angels, demons don't have any specific weaknesses to kill them. In "Who's da New King of Hell?", Lucifer tells Chloe that demons are killable "it just takes a little extra oomph." During the fight with the demons brought to Earth by Eve, several are killed by powerful blows alone and one is killed by Eve shoving a high heel through her eye.