|“||But he's an Angel, you're the devil, you're the prince of all lies.||„|
| — Dan to Lucifer|
in "Spoiler Alert"
Daniel "Dan" Espinoza is a homicide detective in Los Angeles, working as a member of the LAPD. This leads him to interact with Lucifer Morningstar when Lucifer decides to help the LAPD solve cases. Dan dislikes Lucifer quite a bit, due to Lucifer calling him "Detective Douche" and his connection to Dan's ex-wife, Chloe Decker, and daughter, Trixie.
In Season 4, Dan blames Lucifer for Charlotte's death, even when it was Pierce's fault. As a result, he becomes bitter and deluded. In the first half of Season 5, Dan uses New Age self-help to move past his pain. However, he suffers a breakdown after Michael tricks him into seeing Lucifer's devilface.
Dan is the ex-husband of Chloe Decker. Together, they had a daughter named Trixie. He is currently an active member of the LAPD and is secretly known for being the responsible of the Palmetto case, which troubled Chloe. Even though Dan dislikes Lucifer, he still stood against Malcolm when it came to killing Lucifer. This can help to conclude that Dan does not hate Lucifer as much as he expresses, thus their on-off relationship.
Throughout the Series Edit
At the beginning of the series, Dan and Chloe are separated. They later rekindle their relationship and share a kiss in "Et Tu, Doctor?". However, things do not work out and they agree to divorce in "Sin-Eater".
In "Once Upon a Time", which takes place in an alternate universe created by God, Dan never met Chloe and thus never had Trixie with her. In this new world, he is a very corrupt cop who agrees to help Charlotte Richards steal money from Lucifer, who he hates. The two are successful and leave Los Angeles with the money together due to Charlotte being threatened by Maze, apparently now in a relationship with each other.
Following on from the loss of Charlotte, Dan struggles with the concept of returning to work in the same environment as Lucifer. After careful consideration, however, he tries to overcome his hatred of Lucifer, and gifts him with an amethyst bracelet to "cleanse his chakra and negative energy". The two of them briefly are able to improve their friendship, however this is thoroughly soiled when Dan unintentionally is privy to Lucifer's devil face.
Dan is bemused by what he witnesses, and this allows Michael — Lucifer's egomaniacal brother — to convince him to conspire against him. Dan visits Lucifer's penthouse one night and, wanting to verify his assumptions, shoots Lucifer. Chloe is able to convince Dan to forgive Lucifer, however, and the two are able to move past the issue.
|#2||"Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil."||Appears|
|#3||"The Would-Be Prince of Darkness"||Appears|
|#8||"Et Tu, Doctor?"||Appears|
|#9||"A Priest Walks Into a Bar"||Appears|
|#13||"Take Me Back to Hell"||Appears|
|#1||"Everything's Coming Up Lucifer"||Appears|
|#2||"Liar, Liar, Slutty Dress on Fire"||Appears|
|#7||"My Little Monkey"||Appears|
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Appears|
|#10||"Quid Pro Ho"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Appears|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Appears|
|#18||"The Good, the Bad and the Crispy"||Appears|
|#1||"They're Back, Aren't They?"||Appears|
|#2||"The One with the Baby Carrot"||Appears|
|#3||"Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith"||Appears|
|#4||"What Would Lucifer Do?"||Appears|
|#5||"Welcome Back, Charlotte Richards"||Appears|
|#6||"Vegas With Some Radish"||Appears|
|#7||"Off the Record"||Appears|
|#8||"Chloe Does Lucifer"||Appears|
|#10||"The Sin Bin"||Appears|
|#11||"City of Angels?"||Appears|
|#12||"All About Her"||Appears|
|#13||"Til Death Do Us Part"||Appears|
|#14||"My Brother's Keeper"||Appears|
|#15||"High School Poppycock"||Appears|
|#16||"Infernal Guinea Pig"||Appears|
|#17||"Let Pinhead Sing!"||Appears|
|#18||"The Last Heartbreak"||Appears|
|#19||"Orange is the New Maze"||Appears|
|#20||"The Angel of San Bernardino"||Appears|
|#21||"Anything Pierce Can Do I Can Do Better"||Appears|
|#22||"All Hands on Decker"||Appears|
|#24||"A Devil of My Word"||Appears|
|#26||"Once Upon a Time"||Appears|
|#2||"Somebody's Been Reading Dante's Inferno"||Appears|
|#3||"O, Ye of Little Faith, Father"||Appears|
|#4||"All About Eve"||Appears|
|#6||"Orgy Pants to Work"||Appears|
|#7||"Devil Is as Devil Does"||Appears|
|#8||"Super Bad Boyfriend"||Appears|
|#10||"Who's da New King of Hell?"||Appears|
|#1||"Really Sad Devil Guy"||Appears|
|#2||"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!"||Appears|
|#4||"It Never Ends Well for the Chicken"||Mentioned|
|#10||"Resting Devil Face"||TBD|
|#11||"Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam"||TBD|
|#12||"Daniel Espinoza: Naked and Afraid"||TBD|
|#13||"A Little Harmless Stalking"||TBD|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||TBD|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||TBD|
|#16||"A Chance At a Happy Ending"||TBD|
|To edit this section, go to Chloe Decker/Family.|
|John Decker†||Penelope Decker|
|Chloe Decker||Dan Espinoza|
- Solid lines denote parent-child blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
- Willpower: Although it could be argued that it may not be necessarily a superpower of his, Dan was the first known human capable of resisting the influence of Azrael's blade as shown in his confrontation with Lucifer, leading the Devil to openly state that Dan had a "hidden strength which he didn't know he had".
- Marksmanship: Dan rarely uses his gun throughout the show, but he is a skilled marksman nonetheless. He was capable of shooting Malcolm first in the shootout before he could shoot in Chloe Decker's direction.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Becomes shown a few times throughout the show such as one instance during his scuffle with Malcolm (albeit, he got overpowered). However, in season 4, Dan takes on a gang alongside Maze in hand-to-hand, showing that he is well-trained, which further impressed the battle-loving demon.
- Dan's last name, Espinoza, was revealed in "Wingman".
- The irony of the last name is that Espinoso means "thorny", and Kevin Alejandro stated in Dan's character preview that Dan is a thorn in Lucifer's side.
- Nicholas Gonzalez was initially announced as the actor playing Dan on March 12, 2015 and was on the Pilot episode shown in the San Diego Comic Con. However, he was recast by Kevin Alejandro in following episodes.
- Despite their dislike of each other, Dan and Lucifer both love The Weaponizer and Body Bags film series.
- Dan is the only known human able to resist the call of Azrael's blade.
- It is implied by Lucifer that Dan masturbates frequently.
- Accordinh to Lucifer's "Operation Payback Dan" chart:
- Dan sleeps six hours a day (Midnight to 6AM).
- He eats pudding at 3PM
- Works fron 8AM to 5PM
- Possibly goes to the Gym at 6PM
- Watches the Queer Eye at 9PM
- Reads his self-help book at 10PM.
- ↑ Kevin Alejandro replaced Nicholas as a regular in Dan's recasting on July 2015. Kevin Alejandro Joins Fox Series ‘Lucifer’ As Regular In Recasting