|“||When Dad kicked you out, the whole family was rocked, me especially.||„|
|— Azrael to Lucifer|
in "Boo Normal"
Azrael was one of the many Angels created by God and Goddess. Like her siblings, Azrael serves God. She was very close to her older brother Lucifer and enjoyed pranking Amenadiel with him. Sometime after Lucifer rebelled, she meant to come visit him, even in Hell, but became too busy dealing with souls, as the angel of death.
Prior to the events of the series, Azrael met Ella Lopez, when she had gotten into a car accident when she was eight and befriended her. She would occasionally stop by and meet Ella whenever she was near her. At some point, she told Ella that she was a ghost to hide the fact that she was an invisible angel. Azrael had been the primary factor in Ella moving to L.A. and meeting Lucifer, because she thought that Lucifer could help Ella and vice versa.
During the battle between Lucifer and Michael, Azrael suddenly appears, surprising Lucifer. Lucifer is certain that with the Angel of Death on his side, he can't lose. However, Azrael sadly tells Lucifer that she's sorry before Michael impales Chloe Decker, mortally wounding her. After Lucifer sacrifices himself to resurrect Chloe and becomes the new God, Azrael joins everyone else present in kneeling before him.
Lucifer described her as "no sweet peach", implying her personality rubbed off on the dagger; as Maze put it "that's one angry-ass knife".
When she showed up in L.A. it's shown that she's the opposite of what Lucifer described, being rather friendly, and even while with the blade, she developed a close friendship with Ella. This suggests that her more violent personality was the product of using the sword. Lucifer's comment may have also been out of bitterness since Azrael, who he had once been very close to, never took the time to visit him after his banishment.
During her interactions with Lucifer, Azrael was shown to care deeply for her brother and to love him greatly. Azrael clearly looked up to Lucifer and loved pranking Amenadiel with him. Even after not seeing Lucifer since his rebellion, she still cared greatly about him and missed him deeply, regretting the fact that she never came to visit him. Her bringing Ella to L.A. was designed purely to bring her two favorite people together, so that Lucifer and Ella would have each other, when she couldn't be there for them.
Azrael is shown to always be on Lucifer's side in conflicts despite her busy job. She appeared during the war between Michael and Lucifer due to Chloe being about to be murdered by the former. Knowing how much anguish Lucifer would be in, Azrael could only give a heartbroken "Sorry, Lu" to her brother as a warning.
Powers and Abilities
Azrael shares many of the same abilities as all other angels. However, as the angel of death, she also interacts with the dead. She's also supposedly very powerful as Lucifer stated mid-battle against Michael that with the angel of death on his side he "can't lose".
- Angel Physiology: As an angel, Azrael has their powers as well as their weaknesses.
- Immortality: As an angelic celestial being, Azrael is immune to age, having lived since the beginning of creation, and is also impossible to harm by any means which can kill or injure mortals easily. However, she can be harmed by supernatural weapons and means.
- Death Awareness: Azrael knows when death is supposed to happen and pops up right before it happens. Though sometimes blind chance gives "false alarms" like Ella Lopez
- Invisibility: Azrael has the power to appear invisible and choose who can see her. Typically only dead humans will be able to see her.
- Shape-Shifting: Azrael is capable of altering her true angelic appearance, making herself look like a human female, hiding her wings.
- Dimensional Travel: Azrael is able to travel between Heaven, Hell and Earth.
|To edit this section, go to Lucifer Morningstar/Family.|
Other angels are seen at God's retirement party including Zadkiel angel of righteousness and Hanjobadiel the most handsome. Jophiel and Saraqael visited Lux in S5E15. Raziel initially sided with Michael.
- Solid lines denote blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Mentioned|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Mentioned|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Mentioned|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Mentioned|
|#20||"The Angel of San Bernardino"||Mentioned|
|#26||"Once Upon a Time"||Mentioned|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||Mentioned|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||Mentioned|
|#16||"A Chance at a Happy Ending"||Appears|
- Azrael is based on the Angel of Death from Abrahamic traditions and/or Jewish folklore. In the Book of Exodus, the Angel of Death is said to be the one who was responsible for killing the Egyptian firstborn during the first Passover.
- She was once sent to collect Ella when she had been in a terrible car accident and was on the verge of death but it turned out to be a false alarm. Even though she wasn't supposed to, she looked after Ella and became friends with her, lying to Ella about her true identity and told her that she was a ghost.