Angels are the children of God and Goddess. They were created by God and Goddess billions of years before Earth and humanity was created. Angels have been alive for hundreds of billions of years, possibly trillions of years. Angels all grew up together in Heaven. Like human children, they played with each other and depended on their parents. However, Angels never aged, Since the beginning of their creation they have always looked the way they look now. According to Amenadiel Angels were never children, they have always been the same. Amenadiel is the oldest Angel and is admired, feared and respected by many of his siblings. Angels are nigh-omnipotent, nigh-omniscience, nigh-omnipresence, and are the most powerful beings in the universe, and they are all-powerful beings whom are hundreds of billions of years old, and have an eternal lifespan. Angels will never get old, and will live for all eternity. Angels are preeminent, god-like beings, they have the power to defeat any being in the universe because of they are children of God and Goddess. Angels have godly powers, which make them nearly all-powerful, omnipotent and invincible.
Angels are autonomous, divine beings and do not live in strict harmony with each other. Throughout the ages, they have had rivalries and disputes with each other.
Lucifer was thought to be God's favorite until he rebelled and corrupted nore than half of his siblings. God cast him out of Heaven, condemning him to rule Hell for all eternity. The rest of the angels continued to reside in Heaven and try to act in God's will. In 2011, Lucifer voluntarily abdicated, leaving Hell with no ruler.
Throughout the Series
Amenadiel, the firstborn angel who is hundreds of billions of years old, possibly trillions of years old and "fury of God," he is one of the strongest and most powerful Angels ever created by God. Amenadiel descended to Earth in 2016 to bring Lucifer back to his post, particularly irritated since he had taken over Lucifer's duties patrolling Hell and chasing down escaped souls of the dead.
After spending time on Earth and Hell, Amenadiel became seduced by temptation and committed various sins, including freeing a damned soul from Hell and sleeping with a demon, and eventually agreeing to stay on Earth and teaming up with Lucifer. Eventually Amenadiel began to lose his celestial powers and his angelic form began to decay, and he realized he had fallen. However, his condition was unlike Lucifer's as Lucifer retained his celestial powers, while Amenadiel became vulnerable and mortal, and lost his celestial powers and his god-like physical strength.
After failing to keep a deal with God, Uriel came to Earth to collect on Lucifer's end of the deal. Lucifer convinced Amenadiel to meet Uriel to threaten and dissuade him and convince him to go back to Heaven. Realizing Amenadiel no longer had his celestial strength and godly powers, Uriel easily defeated Amenadiel. Infuriated, Lucifer confronts Uriel, who reveals his plan to erase their Mother from existence using Azrael's Blade, the "Flaming Sword" before she takes her vengeance on their father. While Uriel defeats both Lucifer and the demon Mazikeen, Lucifer surprises and stabs Uriel with the Blade, killing him.
During Quintessential Deckerstar, Amenadiel regains his angel wings and celestial superpowers and god-like strength after the sacrifice of Charlotte Richards. With his celestial powers fully restored, Amenadiel takes Charlotte’s soul up in to Heaven.
Amenadiel then returns to earth, where he admits to Lucifer that he has become accustomed to living on earth and will stay.
Angels have large wings that are shown to be all-powerful. It is unknown weather this is their true form or simply how they choose to appear when outside of Heaven. Lucifer was the only known angel without wings, having severed them after abandoning Hell, leaving large notable scars on his back. After spending time on Earth and committing various sins, Amenadiel's wings began to stop functioning and decay. However, he regained them when Charlotte Richards died and was able to use them to fly her to Heaven.
Any pattern in the color of their wings is still unknown. Lucifer's enormous wings were shown to be white and to glow with a divine light, while Amenadiel's wings were dark grey (although they did have a bright sheen) before they began to decay, when they lost their sheen and coloration, becoming a dull brown. Uriel's wings are a shade darker than Lucifer's, still white yet with more grey plumage and a slight shade of grey or cream.
Powers and Abilities
All angels have the following powers, celestial superpowers and god-like abilities:
- Vast Superhuman Strength: Angels possess immense levels of superhuman strength, they have incredible superhuman physical force that is unmatched among other beings. Angels are one trillion times stronger than humans, and at least one million times stronger than Demons. Because they are all actual children of God and Goddess, Angels possess God-like physical strength, their strength has no end, they are able to lift or move an unimaginable and incalculable amount of weight and mass, they can lift or move millions of tons of force, possibly billions of tons of force at full strength if they desired, such as any vehicles, buses, planes, helicopters, rockets, boats, ships, battleships, bulldozers, tanks, houses, buildings, towers, skyscrapers, mountains, volcano's, islands, continents, moons, and even planets if they desired. Angels are strong enough to easily throw humans into orbit, they are strong enough to throw a moon faster than the speed of sound, they are strong enough to physically hold back a large accelerating vehicle with one hand, and strong enough to throw a vehicle millions of miles away, and are strong enough to effortlessly punch through brick walls, reinforced steel walls, cinder blocks, concrete, and literally any kind of hard surface or object. Angels are also able to physically crush any mortal material, such as steel, metal, iron, stone, rock, gold, brass, diamonds, graphene, reinforced steel, titanium steel, tungsten metal, etc. Angels are able to effortlessly lift humans very high off of the ground with one hand, they can break a humans hand with a very light squeeze, they can easily rip large trees out from the ground and throw them a very long distance away, and are strong enough to effortlessly kill humans, demons and any being with a light punch if desired. Angels have limitless physical strength, and they have the godly strength to lift or move an infinite and incalculable amount of mass and weight. They can lift or move nearly anything when they desire. Angels are so strong that they can create an earthquake all around a huge city by stomping on the ground, and they can produce shockwaves by clapping their hands together. Lucifer has displayed this on multiple occasions, notably by effortlessly lifting large human men off the ground with one hand or by sending them flying across rooms up to 100 feet. Their extraordinary supernatural strength is far greater than demons, as Mazikeen was unable to defeat Amenadiel when she battled him in the bar, using all of her might against him, with him essentially toying with her throughout the whole fight. However, Lucifer, who could overpower Amenadiel, was only able to fight her to a standstill, although it must be noted that Maze had the advantage of having gotten many shots in on Lucifer, and Lucifer was not trying to kill or hurt her so he held back a lot of physcial force and strength. Lucifer could of easily destroyed Mazikeen if he really wanted to, but he held back almost all of his celestial strength becausehe didnt want to hurt her. It was shown that Uriel easily defeated Mazikeen in hand-to-hand combat. Lucifer has been seen to effortlessly take down 3 demons with ease and Amenadiel also easily overpowered several demons, further showing that Angels are indeed far more powerful than demons. Angels are the strongest beings in the universe, and their incalculable superhuman strength is so great and astonishing it makes them virtually all-powerful and invincible. Angels have the kind of immense strength that is far beyond a superhuman level.
- Vast Superhuman Speed: Angels can run or fly at tremendous hypersonic speeds, they have limitless levels of speed and velocity, and can move at infinite velocities. They are so fast that they can move past time and space itself. Angels are able to appear and disappear with a blink of an eye, and are able to move across a room within a millisecond. Angels are able to move, run and fly as fast as the speed of light. They are able to move and run far faster than Demons, and any other being. They can move, run, jump, climb, and fly at an extraordinary level of superhuman speed of over millions of miles per hour. Angels are able to run a mile in less than a second, and can move far faster than a speeding bullet. Angels are even fast enough to circle earth before their image leaves your eyes. They have warping speed, and can transverse around the solar system in within a couple seconds. Angels have the incredible speed that is far greater than a superhuman level. Angels possess god-like speed.
- Vast Superhuman Stamina: Angels have unlimited stamina, they are able to survive and function without sleep, rest, water, food and oxygen, and are able to do anything without tiring. Angels can so fly, run, walk, climb, and swim for as long as they desire without ever stopping.
- Vast Superhuman Durability: Angels have highly durable bodies and can withstand absolutely anything, they are absolutely indestructible and invulnerable, and are virtually impossible to harm or even injure. The only thing that could injure or harm them is the Flaming Sword and Demon Daggers forged in Hell.
- Vast Superhuman Endurance: Angels have the ability to do anything and everything without ever getting tired. Angels literally have unlimited mental and physical energy, and are never pushed to a limit where they get tired, exausted or wore out. They can run as fast and as long as they desire without tiring. They can fight without ever tiring, and can fly as long as they desire without ever tiring. They can do absolutely everything without ever feeling weary or getting tired.
- Vast Superhuman Agility: Angels have far greater agility than humans, demons and any other being, they have remarkable balance, coordination and agility, which make them able to quickly and easily move, dodge, duck, or catch anything thrown at them, such as speeding bullets, knives, arrows, daggers, etc. Angels are able to move their bodies in an incredibly supernatural way. They are able to effortlessly catch and dodge punches with ease, and are fast enough to dodge and catch bullets, Angels have supernatural reactions, able to move superhumanly fast. They are also able to leap off the ground over a mile away. Angels have far greater agility than the finest athletes on earth. Angels have agility that is far beyond a superhuman level.
- Vast Superhuman Reflexes: Angels possess extraordinary reflexes and reactions. Angels have have incredible reflexes/reactions and are able to react to anything no matter how fast it is. Amenadiel was able to effortlessly dodge Maze's attacks. Lucifer has been able to effortlessly catch speeding bullets, and effortlessly catch daggers thrown at him very close and extremely fast by Mazikeen. Angels have unbelieveably supernatural reflexes and reactions, they can catch anything thrown or shot at them no matter what it is and no matter how fast it is. and they can also duck and dodge anything. Angels can duck, dodge or catch anything, such as speeding bullets, knives, arrows, daggers, etc. Angels possess phenomenal reflexes far beyond a superhuman level.
- Vast Superhuman Athleticism: Angels have extraordinary Athleticism in hand-to-hand combat, martial arts, and much more, Angels display supernatural hand-to-hand combat abilities, and are far superior to demons, humans, and other beings. Angels have the strength to easily defeat demons in hand-to-hand combat. Amenadiel displayed this when he fought Mazikeen, throughout the whole fight he was litterally toying with her. Angels have far greater physical condition than humans and demons, and they have god-like fighting abilities that could easily destroy demons and other beings. Angels are far better athletes than the finest human athletes on earth. Angels possess athleticism that is far greater than a superhuman level.
- Vast Superhuman Intelligence: Angels have been alive for billions, possibly trillions of years, and have far superior intelligence than human beings, demons, and any other being. Angels have super genius-level intellligence and intellect. They know absolutely anything and everything. Angels can learn anything in only one day, where it would take a human years to learn.
- Vast Superhuman Senses: Angels have remarkable senses, hearing and vision, and they can see things, hear things and sense things very far away, Angels have far greater senses, hearing and vision than humans, and they sense far more things that humans cant. Angels can hear conversations that humans have miles away from where they are, they can see things from a great distance. Angels can also sense danger, and if a human is good or evil. Angels have even far greater senses than animals do.
- Vast Superhuman Hearing: Angels have the ability to hear things at a very great distance away if they desire, such as people talking, conversing and even whispering. Angels can hear humans, demons and other Angels talking dozens of miles away.
- Vast Superhuman Vision: Angels have the ability to see things at a very great distance away if they desire. Angels can see humans all the way from Heaven.
- Vast Superhuman Memory: Due to the fact that Angel's have been alive for billions of years they can remember anything and everything that happened throughout thier angelic lives. Angels minds can perceive information with a photographic memory, becoming faster than the speed of thought, because they can shoft their minds at an extraordinary speed far faster thanhumans, demons and any other beings.
- Vast Superhuman Wisdom: Angel's have far greater wisdom than humans, demons and any other being, because they have been alive for billions, possibly trillions of years.
- Nigh-Omnipotence: Angels are nearly all-powerful and have almost unlimited power.
- Nigh-Omniscienece: Angels have nearly infinite amount of knowledge, and know almost everything. Angels have nearly all-knowing knowledge and intelligence.
- Nigh-Omnipresence: Angels have the ability to be anywhere and everywhere at once if they desired.
- Flight: Through the use of their enormous wings, angels are capable of flight. As seen in "A Devil of My Word", they can also use wings in battle. Angels wings are extremely powerful and they can exert immense amounts of very powerful wind to knock a human back hundreds of feet. Angels wings are also very sharp, and can use thier wings as a lethal weapon. Theough the use of their large and incredibly powerful wings, Angels can fly as fast as the speed of light.
- Dimensional Travel: Through the use of their wings, angels can fly between realms, e.g. from Earth to Heaven or to Hell.
- Shape-Shifting: Angels are capable of altering their true angelic appearance, making themselves look like humans (hiding their massive wings).
- Agelessness: Angels do not age or get old, and never will age, they have eternal youthful beauty.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Most of the time Angels do not heal becuase they are absolutely invulnerable, and they can not get injured, cut or harmed, but they can get injured if they fight eachother. Angels have the ability to heal instantly.
- Invincibility: Angels are preeminent celestial beings, and because they are the actual children of God and Goddess, they are virtually invincible and cannot be defeated by humans, demons, or any being in the universe.
- Invulnerability: Angels have fully indestructible and invulnerable bodies, Angels have been shown to be completely immune to earthly damage and cannot be killed by anything that could kill a mortal. Bullets and knives bounce harmlessly off of their bodies, not even a nuclear bomb can harm them, which make them absolutley indestructible. Angels are immune to aging, extreme heat, extreme cold, diseases, sicknesses, infections, illnesses, venoms, poisons, toxins, plagues, acids, and viruses. They also cannot be harmed or injured by guns, knives, machetes, tasers, lasers, grenades, bombs, fire, lava, nuclear bombs, atomic bombs, sonic weapons, or any kind of mortal weapons or objects. Angels are also immune to telepathy and magic. However, for an unknown reason, Lucifer becomes vulnerable when around Detective Chloe Decker. When he's away from her, his Immortality, indestructibility and invulnerability returns.
- Immortality: Angels cannot be killed by conventional means and thus have been alive for hundreds of billions of years. They will live for all eternity without ever aging or decaying. They will live forever with their youthful physical beauty. The only thing that can harm and kill an Angel is the Flaming Sword or Demon Daggers Forged in Hell.
- Eternal Existence: Angels will absolutely live forever, and Angels are absolutely immortal and have an absolute eternal lifespan, which means that they cannot age or decay, and they will literally live for all eterntity without aging or decaying.
- Resurrection: Angels are able to bring back souls from Hell to insert them into recently deceased bodies. In "Wingman", Amenadiel brought Malcolm back from Hell moments after he dies. In "Infernal Guinea Pig", Lucifer brought Abel into the body of Bree Garland. However, angels require wings to travel between realms and as such cannot bring back souls without having wings.
- Master Martial Artist and Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Angels are highly skilled, preeminent fighters, and they possess incredible hand-to-hand combat abilities that is far greater than a superhuman level. Angels possess all armed and unarmed fighting abilities, such as boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, karate, taekwondo, kungfu, muay thai, aikido, judo, jujitsu, tai chi, krav maga, hapkido, etc.
Some angels have shown to have additional powers:
- Probability Calculation: Uriel can set off a chain of events which can bring out the results he desires without doing almost anything. He calls this the butterfly effect.
- Chronokinesis: As shown in Amenadiel's first appearance in the series, he has the power to control time and slow down time for mortals around them. He later slowed down time to save Linda Martin in "The Good, the Bad and the Crispy".
- Telekinesis: Lucifer is sometimes shown levitating and spinning his Pentecostal Coin with hand or finger gestures.
- Desire Exhibition: Lucifer's mere presence lowers the inhibitions of everyone around him, inducing them to reveal their true nature, their darkest secrets and desires, such as when he notably has a cop confess his desire to be free of the law. This allows Lucifer to make Faustian deals with various people in exchange for favors.
- Healing: The feathers from Lucifer's wings have devine healing powers that could heal any injury, illness, infection, disease, etc. This was seen when Mazikeen used one of Lucifers feathers to heal Amenadiel's near-fatal stab wound from a demon dagger forged in hell.
- Invisibility: Azreal has the power to be invisible to anyone.
- Sensing: Remiel has the power to sense celestials, she can also sense demons, humans, etc.
- Hypnotism: Lucifer has the power to hypnotize humans, demons, even celestial beings to tell him the total truth, and tell him their desires.
- Flaming Sword: The Flaming Sword (and its component Azrael's blade) can eradicate angels. The angel would be permanently gone, no Heaven nor Hell, and cannot be resurrected.
- Demon/Hell-Forged Weapons: These weapons are able to injure and kill angels. In "Take Me Back to Hell", Amenadiel is fatally injured by a demon knife.
- Self Actualization: It is theorized by Amenadiel that since angels are righteous beings, committing sins greatly weakens their powers. During the second season, Amenadiel's powers diminish and his wings deteriorate. However, this does not seem to be the case for Lucifer as his wings are in a good condition and his strength remains superhuman. Maze believes it was being an accomplice to murder that was the major sin that caused Amenadiel's state. Towards the end of the third season, Amenadiel develops a theory that angels are subject to the same form of judgement mortals are and their own self-judgement determines their physical state and that Amenadiel himself was the one who took away his own powers because he judged himself to be unworthy of them. While Lucifer was initially dismissive of Amenadiel's theory, after seeing that Amenadiel regained his wings, Lucifer also came to the conclusion that Amenadiel's theory was right. After Lucifer's own rebellion against Heaven when he first arrived in Hell, Lucifer felt that he was a monster and then physically became one in appearance. When Lucifer saved his mother and was about to confess the truth to Chloe, he no longer felt like a monster and his devil face disappeared and gave his own wings back. After killing Pierce, Lucifer's devil face returned. Furthermore, after significant influence from Eve, Lucifer's opinion of himself began to deterioriate again, resulting in his wings becoming what is more traditionally associated with devils (leather and bat-like), as well as when at his lowest point, Lucifer totally reverted to the form he felt he deserved after his rebellion. Following Lucifer's decision to return to Hell protect those he loves, Lucifer and Chloe admitting their love for each other and Chloe's total acceptance of who and what Lucifer is, his wings regain their original angelic appearance.
- Supernatural Beings: Supernatural beings (i.e. gods and angels are able to cause physical harm to each other. Gods are capable of easily overpowering and destroying angels.
- Chloe Decker (for Lucifer): For an unknown reason, Chloe is immune to Lucifer's power and charm. She also renders Lucifer vulnerable to earthly damage, as seen when he bled after cutting himself in her vicinity.
|To edit this section, go to Lucifer Morningstar/Family.|
- Solid lines denote blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
- Each angel has a unique power, e.g. Lucifer makes people tell the truth and is sexually irresistible, Amenadiel can slow time, Azrael can only be seen by the dying or those who had a brush with death, and Uriel can foresee chain reactions.
- An angel's beliefs can affect them.
- Lucifer gained his "devil face" when he considered himself a monster; he lost it and regained his wings when he no longer considered himself such; he gained it back after killing Marcus Pierce.
- Amenadiel became mortal after feeling guilt for reviving Malcolm Graham, sleeping with Maze, and siding with Lucifer.
- One of God's rules is that "angels can't take a mortal life," or as Mazikeen put it, "killing a human is Angel No-No's 101".
- It is unclear if Lucifer is bound to this rule, but he claims that he has never killed anyone before Uriel. In "The Sin Bin", Lucifer was unable to go through killing the Sinnerman, even though he wanted to disobey his dad. In "A Devil of My Word", Lucifer killed Pierce, leading him to transform into a devil in season 4.
- Maze believes that Amenadiel being an accomplice to the murder of mortals (by bringing Malcolm back from Hell) is what caused his powers to weaken.
- However Uriel's attempts to kill Chloe Decker imply there may be loopholes.
- According to Amenadiel, "celestial beings aren't allowed to interact here on Earth," referring to fighting. However, this rule seems to have been broken multiple times throughout the series, like when Lucifer fought Uriel in "Monster".
- An angel's ability of resurrection depends on having their wings so they can fly to Heaven or Hell to retrieve the soul in question. In the case of someone who has only just died, such as when Amenadiel resurrected Malcolm, they can simply resurrect the person in their own body. However, in the case of someone who has been dead far longer, such as when Lucifer resurrected Abel, they must place the soul into the body of someone who is recently deceased. They appear not to have full control over whose body the soul will come back in, as in such a case as Lucifer intended to bring Abel back in the body of a recently-deceased old man, but in the brief time he was gone, Bree Garland died and Abel's soul went into her body instead.
- Angels resurrect moments after being killed; though Lucifer states bullets just bounce off. However, if they are rendered mortal, they leave a body behind and go to an afterlife.
- So far every angel that has been shown or mentioned has name which ends with suffix "el", including Lucifer since his original name was Samael.
- Amenadiel suggests this is a given as all the baby names he came up with all ended in "el".
- This may be tied to the principle of el theosophy, where the suffix -el is used to end names in order to tie them to god, it being a Sumerian word for god. (E.x. Samael meting “Venom of God”)
- When choosing a name for Charlie, Amenadiel immediately opposes the name Michael when it was proposed. Though an angel Michael has not been confirmed, if one exists, this may imply poor relations between him and Amenadiel.
- Angels can reproduce with humans.
- Amenadiel didn't think it was possible and never used protection.
- On the other hand, Remiel had assumed it was possible and was surprised it hadn't happened sooner, given how much sex Lucifer has with humans.
- Lucifer suggests Linda's pregnancy may have been possible due to Amenadiel being mortal at the time.