|“||Falling is how humans learn. It's how I learned. Look, I-- I lost my wings, my powers. I fell again and again. You know? And getting back up... well, that was the most empowering experience of my life.||„|
|— Amenadiel to Linda|
in "A Chance at a Happy Ending"
Amenadiel is the eldest of all God's angels who serves as a central character in Lucifer, originally serving as the primary antagonist of Season 1 before redeeming himself and becoming one of the protagonists. Initially, Amenadiel would occasionally travel to Earth in order to convince Lucifer to return to his duties as the Ruler of Hell, as the latter would often become bored and leave his post. Unbeknownst to his brother, Amenadiel was sent by their father to bless Penelope Decker who was unable to have a child.. That child would later end up being Chloe Decker, who God intentionally placed into Lucifer's path.
In 2011, Lucifer permanently abdicates the throne and his kingdom, resulting in Amenadiel venturing to Earth with the intention of forcing his brother to return under God's orders, though his attempts at doing so are proven futile. This leads to God revoking this order after resurrecting Lucifer and learning that his ex-wife, Goddess, has escaped Hell.
As his time progresses on Earth, Amenadiel begins to have a change of heart regarding humans, and learns to live alongside them. His relationship with Lucifer improves immensely, and he learns to care about the world that he once condescendingly looked down upon. He later bears a child with a human named Dr. Linda Martin, and decides to spend the rest of his life as a policeman helping others on Earth.
Childhood & Early History
|“||You see, angels, we didn't grow up. Uh, we just appeared, fully formed. That's how Mom and Dad created us.||„|
|— Amenadiel to Linda Martin after she learns she is pregnant with Charlie|
Amenadiel is the eldest child of God and Goddess, born seconds after the Big Bang -- he is billions of years old. As an angel child, he played and trained with his siblings, however, he and the other older angels often excluded Uriel from their activities. All of his siblings admired, respected, and even feared him. Lucifer mentioned that Michael constantly annoyed him until Uriel learned the power of "atomic wedgies".
Amenadiel was the one that gave Cain his mark, and cursed him "to walk the earth alone for a tortured eternity."
Circa 1981, for unknown reasons, God asked something of Amenadiel that he never asked before; to go down to Earth and bless a couple who were unable to have a child of their own. That couple was John and Penelope Decker, who would then give birth to Chloe Decker. That was the first and only time God had ever asked Amenadiel to do anything in the same manner.
Throughout the Series
|This section is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
In "Pilot", Amenadiel comes to Lux and asks Lucifer to return to the underworld and resume his role as the ruler of Hell. However, Lucifer steadfastly rejects his brother's request, and Amenadiel reluctantly leaves; but not before attempting to sway Malcolm Graham into a plan to kill Lucifer in order to banish him to Hell for all eternity.
In "Manly Whatnots" and "Sweet Kicks", Amenadiel persuades Mazikeen to help him return Lucifer to Hell for "his own good". Mazikeen agrees with Amenadiel's plan in the beginning, but soon after she attempts to kill him in his sleep, which resulted in them dissolving their unholy partnership.
In "Sympathy for the Goddess", an ancient Sumerian text claims that the key for the Flaming Sword was given to God's favorite son. Amenadiel initially was upset by this as he thought that Lucifer was the one who was bequeathed the ancient key. Much to his surprise and candor, the key is eventually revealed to be his own necklace, fortifying his belief that he is indeed God's favorite son. Lucifer did not doubt this for a second; he always knew that Amenadiel was their father's favorite.
In "Quintessential Deckerstar", Amenadiel deeply thanked Charlotte for her help in successfully preventing Chloe and Pierce from getting married, but her comment about still feeling the weight of her guilt made Amenadiel wonder if angels were also their judges, also known as self-actualization. Amenadiel can be credited with actually conceiving the theory of self-actualization. Later that night, Amenadiel comes across Mazikeen, who appears to be in distress for driving everyone away. While Maze had originally conspired with Pierce to tranquilize Amenadiel and take him to be killed, Maze changed her mind after the two of them shared a passionate moment. Later, after Charlotte helped to put away a killer, Amenadiel congratulated her for her deeds.
After Amenadiel and Charlotte gathered significant evidence from Richards & Wheeler, Charlotte's former law firm, that Marcus Pierce is indeed The Sinnerman, the duo set out to bring him to justice. While the two were talking on a bench, Pierce was hiding in the bushes, planning to take Amenadiel's life in order to remove his mark and in addition, his curse of immortality. Charlotte hears rattling coming from the trees, and in a moment of true redemption, stands in front of Amenadiel, taking two gunshots to her torso, thus saving his life, but consequently sealing her own fate.
For the first time in the entire series, Amenadiel shows his emotional side. As Charlotte lays dying, he comforts her; she is in deep fear of returning to Hell. As he cradles her body, Amenadiel regains his wings and flies to Heaven with Charlotte's soul. Lucifer and Chloe find Charlotte's body and Lucifer realizes his brother has gone home to the Silver City and has taken Charlotte with him.
In "Everything's Okay", Amenadiel came back from Silver City and confronted Lucifer. He reveals the truth to him about Charlotte, who is now in Heaven, which they both agreed she deserved. Later, he shows up at Linda's office, where he is surprised to see Linda and Maze in an argument which was about to turn physical. The three of them made up and reformed their friendship. Amenadiel then tells Linda about how his feelings changed while he was living in the Silver City, which he considered at one point his true home. He reveals to her that Heaven no longer feels like home, and he intends to stay on Earth as he did not feel welcome in the Silver City anymore.
It was at this time that Amenadiel also found out that Linda was pregnant with their child. Following a visit from his sister and fellow angel Remiel, he planned to bring his son and raise him in the Silver City following her persuasions, but changed his mind when he saw how connected Linda was to Charlie.
Amenadiel struggles greatly with his calling as a father, and tries to be responsible in his efforts to clean up Lux in Lucifer's absence. This fails on numerous occasions, however, and he is unable to stop a simple drug transaction, which ends up embarrassing the LAPD when they approach a young teen selling illegal pharmaceuticals.
When Amenadiel realizes that his brother Michael has come to Earth in an effort to wreak havoc on Lucifer's life, Amenadiel travels to Hell to inform Lucifer that he must return at once and fix what has been broken. In his stead, Amenadiel once again remains behind to keep order in Hell.
Amenadiel returns from Hell shortly after on God's orders, much to Lucifer's surprise. He begins helping out the LAPD for a second time, and is able to help Chloe solve the murder of a nun; this helps bring him closer to his Father and restores his faith in what he had previously lost. With these new developments, Amenadiel realizes that the relationship between Lucifer and Chloe is not as he first thought and that Lucifer is vulnerable around Chloe because he chooses to be, not for any other reason.
Amenadiel quickly realizes that he now relies too heavily on his duty as a parent, and remarks to Maze that he is no longer sure of who he was before he became a father. Maze promises to show Amenadiel what he is missing, but this quickly goes wrong when the two kiss; it becomes clear that Maze too is missing who she used to be. Amenadiel later talks with Linda about these concerns and the fact that Charlie will no longer need the two of them someday.
Amenadiel is very head-strong, loyal, determined, disciplined, honorable, and righteous. Lucifer described him as a "major power-hungry dick", though he admitted that he and their other siblings all looked up to Amenadiel. He is extremely loyal to his father, God, and has shown great determination to complete whatever task he believes God wants him to do.
While not initially evident, it becomes clear that Amenadiel is jealous of Lucifer’s place as God’s ‘favorite’ son (Samael, which is translated as ‘God’s favorite’). He is thrilled when, having read in an untitled ancient tome that the key to Azrael’s blade, the missing third piece was given to God’s favorite son, and assuming that the piece was in Lucifer’s possession, he realizes that it was given to him - in the form of a necklace he always wears.
Like his brother Lucifer, Amenadiel is physically beautiful, handsome, and incredibly muscular, and has a powerfully built physique. Amenadiel shows disdain towards Hell and Earth. He rejects becoming the sovereign of Hell nor does he want to live on Earth. He looks down at humans and once called humans who were with Lucifer "poor creatures" who "know not what they do." However, after living on Earth he begins to understand humans more and even falls in love with one.
While generally trying to do "good", Amenadiel has at times deviated. While trying to force Lucifer to go back to Hell, he lied to and manipulated Dr. Linda Martin. He also resurrected Malcolm Graham from Hell for Malcolm to kill Lucifer. Goddess noted Amenadiel sacrifices a lot to be the "good son" but is never rewarded for all he does.
However, Amenadiel is not without remorse; when he befriended Linda to manipulate Lucifer he truly thought of her as a friend. When he realized his action had led to people being hurt, he felt guilty and sought to make things right.
When Amenadiel fell from grace, he started to become weary of God's choices. He believes God is testing him but he is confused about what he should do. In season 3, he had concluded that Lucifer is his test, that God wants him to be there for Lucifer and be his "brother's keeper."
Amenadiel hides the fact he still cares deeply about Lucifer, but still acts in his best interest. When he saw Lucifer was on the verge of crying from using his pain to ignite the Flaming Sword, he stopped Goddess from forcing him to keep trying when it failed to stay lit.
When discussing names for their child with Linda, most of the names Amenadiel suggested ended in "el", which is an abbreviation of ‘Elohim’ one of the traditional Hebrew names for God - all names which end in ‘el’ connotate a relationship with God (e.g. Castiel, Samael, Michael, Gabriel, Ezekiel). He also showed a deep aversion to the name Michael, thereby indicating that the two have a strained relationship.
Powers and Abilities
|“||Yes, Amenadiel is quite the warrior. Undefeated in battle, one of God's finest.||„|
|— Lucifer Morningstar in City of Angels?|
- Archangel Physiology: As the oldest and one of the most powerful angels, Amenadiel is extremely powerful and has their powers, as well as their weaknesses. He proved to be capable of overpowering the likes of Remiel and Michael. Lucifer is said to be the only angel seen to rival his power, but even he could not defeat Amenadiel without effort. Amenadiel has shown on multiple occasions to overpower Lucifer and attack him with enough force to make him severely bleed. Furthermore, when Amenadiel was weakened and his wings are damaged, he was still much stronger than ordinary human, as shown when he easily held off several hospital security guards, lifting a man off of the ground by his throat one-handed with minimal effort, and effortlessly overpowering and easily defeating Cain in hand-to-hand combat. After Charlotte Richards sacrificed her life to save Amenadiel, his powers were restored and he was able to fly with her soul to Heaven.
- Superhuman Strength: Amenadiel, like all angels, is incredibly strong, capable of exerting immense amounts of superhuman physical force and has vast levels of superhuman strength when he so desires, the full extent of which remains unknown but said to be among the strongest of God's angels. While holding back, he could trade blows equally with Remiel, another extremely powerful angel, known as the Huntress of Heaven. However, once he revealed his true power, he overpowered her and easily bested her with a single punch. He also maintained the upper hand through most of his fight with Michael, as the latter struggled to hold many of Amenadiel's powerful strikes back. Amenadiel has shown to have the strength to effortlessly overpower multiple large men in combat. In addition, he can knock a man unconscious with just a light jab, send a heavy punching bag nearly several feet in the air, and bend and break metal objects such as guns. Even without his powers, Amenadiel still maintained a high degree of superhuman physical force, albeit nowhere near as strong as he was before.
- Superhuman Speed: Like all angels, Amenadiel is extraordinarily fast, he is much faster than humans, demons, animals, and other beings, he can appear and disappear with a blink of an eye, and when using his wings he can fly as fast or faster than the speed of light, he can appear and disappear, in a similar manner akin to teleportation. It is unknown how fast he is while running, but he has shown to be able to move superhumanly fast.
- Immortality: Being the firstborn Angel, Amenadiel has been alive for billions of years, predating the Big Bang and all of his angelic siblings. Like all angels, he is absolutely immortal with an eternal youthful lifespan, and he will live for all eternity without aging or decaying.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Like all angels, Amenadiel can heal any injury or wound within minutes or an hour, no matter how bad the injury is. However, Amenadiel is virtually indestructible, and the only time he would need to heal is if he physically fought his angelic siblings or if he was hurt by the demon daggers or the Flaming Sword.
- Invulnerability: Like all Angels, Amenadiel is virtually indestructible and nearly invincible. He has an incredibly durable body, which can withstand a vast amount of physical damage. Bullets and knives harmlessly bounce off of his body. The only things and beings that can harm him are God, Goddess, the Flaming Sword and Demon Daggers forged in Hell.
- Superhuman Agility and Reflexes: Like all Angels, Amenadiel has vast superhuman agility and reflexes, far greater agility than humans and demons.
- Flight: Amenadiel's wings allow him to fly, including between Earth and Heaven. He can fly as fast or faster than the speed of light in which he would seemingly disappear from the human eye, in a similar manner, akin to teleportation.
- Dimensional Travel: When Amenadiel possessed his wings, he was able to travel between Heaven, Hell, and Earth. He lost this ability when his wings were damaged and his powers weakened. Upon regaining his wings, Amenadiel regained the ability to travel back to Heaven. His first act upon regaining his wings was to travel to Heaven with Charlotte's soul so that she can finally be at blissful peace in the afterlife she deserved.
- Healing: Amenadiel is capable of channeling divine power to heal the injuries of other beings. When resurrecting Malcolm Graham, he instantly healed the gunshot wound that originally killed him.
- Resurrection: Amenadiel, like all angels, can bring people back from the dead. When a dying Malcolm was taken off life support, Amenadiel brought him back to life. He does this by taking a soul and placing it in a recently deceased body. Without his wings as a fallen angel, Amenadiel would be unable to travel to Heaven or Hell to retrieve a soul. This power was presumably restored when his powers returned, as he took Charlotte Richards to Heaven.
- Chronokinesis: Amenadiel's greatest power is his unique ability to significantly slow down time. However, after committing several sins he started deeming himself unworthy of his powers, and he began to lose them, with his chronokinetic ability being the first one to fail. In "The Good, the Bad and the Crispy", Amenadiel was able to considerably slow time to allow Maze to save Linda. However, this took intense concentration and left him exhausted afterward. In "They're Back, Aren't They?", Amenadiel tells Lucifer that this appears to have been "a one-time thing" as he has since been unable to replicate the effect or use any of his other powers. This power was revealed to not have been restored with his full angelic form after meeting Remiel, possibly because of his newfound beliefs of connecting with humanity and his views of his powers. During a great moment of anguish, he succeeded in completely stopping time.
- Celestial Communication: Amenadiel, like all angels, can communicate with his Angelic siblings by praying to them, and he can also communicate with his father God if he chooses to do so.
- Faith Reflection: When around people of faith, they will see their love of God reflected back at them when looking at Amenadiel, as he is a channel for God’s love. This led him to realize that Lucifer’s ability to seduce people was because they saw their own desires reflected back by him, and thus, that Chloe’s immunity to Lucifer’s desire mojo was because her reactions were hers alone, not a mirrored or augmented angelic influence.
|“||Yes, Amenadiel is quite the warrior. Undefeated in battle, one of God's finest.||„|
|— Lucifer in City of Angels?|
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant/Martial Artist: Amenadiel is a supreme hand-to-hand combatant, one of the greatest fighters to date. He is shown on multiple occasions of being able to swiftly gain the upper hand against the demon Maze in a duel, even mocking her at times. Even without his powers, Amenadiel showed exceptional strength and experience in combat, mostly exhibited during his duel with Cain. He was able to hold his own and overpower the latter, who, while human, has been alive for thousands of years and is also a highly skilled combatant. He is even shown to be quite capable of competing with Lucifer and even overpowering him twice when Lucifer was holding back, although Lucifer is proven to be more skilled than him when he was fighting fully, as despite being able to fight against him on reasonably even footing, Lucifer dealt a more severe beating on him in their third altercation while not at full power.
- Self-Actualization: Angels are under the same system of self-judgment as humans are. Similar to how humans are judged to determine if they are to go to Hell, if an angel feels a sufficient amount of guilt, it could cause them to see themselves as sinners and punish themselves. Due to Amenadiel's guilt and feelings of unworthiness, Amenadiel believed he was truly guilty, which resulted in his fall from grace. His personal belief in the importance of connecting with humans on Earth and the role his powers over time had on them had caused him to lose his ability to manipulate time even after his angelic form was restored. It is implied by a conversation with Remiel that his time manipulation power has not returned because he believes he shouldn't use it. When consumed by the fear of his son growing old and dying before him, Amenadiel's subconscious state caused his chronokinesis to go out of control and surpass what he was previously able to do before he lost his power which was limited to only slowing time down initially.
|To edit this section, go to Lucifer Morningstar/Family.|
Other angels are seen at God's retirement party including Zadkiel angel of righteousness and Hanjobadiel the most handsome. Jophiel and Saraqael visited Lux in S5E15. Raziel initially sided with Michael.
- Solid lines denote blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
|#2||"Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil."||Appears|
|#3||"The Would-Be Prince of Darkness"||Credit only|
|#8||"Et Tu, Doctor?"||Credit only|
|#9||"A Priest Walks Into a Bar"||Appears|
|#13||"Take Me Back to Hell"||Appears|
|#1||"Everything's Coming Up Lucifer"||Appears|
|#2||"Liar, Liar, Slutty Dress on Fire"||Appears|
|#7||"My Little Monkey"||Credit only|
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Appears|
|#10||"Quid Pro Ho"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Appears|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Appears|
|#18||"The Good, the Bad and the Crispy"||Appears|
|#1||"They're Back, Aren't They?"||Appears|
|#2||"The One with the Baby Carrot"||Appears|
|#3||"Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith"||Mentioned|
|#4||"What Would Lucifer Do?"||Appears|
|#5||"Welcome Back, Charlotte Richards"||Credit only|
|#6||"Vegas With Some Radish"||Credit only|
|#7||"Off the Record"||Mentioned|
|#8||"Chloe Does Lucifer"||Appears|
|#10||"The Sin Bin"||Mentioned|
|#11||"City of Angels?"||Appears|
|#12||"All About Her"||Appears|
|#13||"Til Death Do Us Part"||Credit only|
|#14||"My Brother's Keeper"||Appears|
|#15||"High School Poppycock"||Appears|
|#16||"Infernal Guinea Pig"||Appears|
|#17||"Let Pinhead Sing!"||Appears|
|#18||"The Last Heartbreak"||Appears|
|#19||"Orange is the New Maze"||Appears|
|#20||"The Angel of San Bernardino"||Appears|
|#21||"Anything Pierce Can Do I Can Do Better"||Appears|
|#22||"All Hands on Decker"||Appears|
|#24||"A Devil of My Word"||Mentioned|
|#26||"Once Upon a Time"||Appears|
|#2||"Somebody's Been Reading Dante's Inferno"||Appears|
|#3||"O, Ye of Little Faith, Father"||Appears|
|#4||"All About Eve"||Appears|
|#6||"Orgy Pants to Work"||Appears|
|#7||"Devil Is as Devil Does"||Appears|
|#8||"Super Bad Boyfriend"||Appears|
|#10||"Who's da New King of Hell?"||Appears|
|#1||"Really Sad Devil Guy"||Appears|
|#2||"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!"||Appears|
|#4||"It Never Ends Well for the Chicken"||Mentioned|
|#10||"Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam"||Appears|
|#11||"Resting Devil Face"||Appears|
|#12||"Daniel Espinoza: Naked and Afraid"||Appears|
|#13||"A Little Harmless Stalking"||Appears|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||Appears|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||Appears|
|#16||"A Chance at a Happy Ending"||Appears|
Behind the scenes
- While Chloe was immune to Lucifer's charm, she was affected by Amenadiel's presence. Ella Lopez reacts similarly to Amenadiel, but she is not fully immune to Lucifer's charm.
- Amenadiel was the one who started the association of Lucifer to the figure of a goat, which Lucifer abhors. He spread the rumor a thousand years ago as a prank on Lucifer. Maze was the first person he told about it.
- In the comics, Amenadiel is a supporting antagonist. He is a strong angel who despises Lucifer and is bent on killing him.
- It is said in "Sympathy for the Goddess", that he is God's favorite angel.
- After three years in earth, Amenadiel came to view God as having been "an ass" throughout existence for being vague and never giving straight answer for anything.
- He has had relationships with both Maze and Linda, two of his brother's former lovers.
- The meaning of the name Amenadiel is Amen and di el, it is of God.
- Amenadiel at the DC Comics Datebase