|“||Years ago at father's behest I came to earth to lay a blessing on one Penelope Decker. Soon after my visit you were born.||„|
| — Amenadiel to Chloe|
in "Detective Amenadiel"
Amenadiel is the eldest of all God's angels, and thus the older brother of Lucifer and all the other angels. He was created by his parents, God and Goddess, hundreds of billions of years ago, and he is among the strongest and most powerful angels ever to exist. Amenadiel came to Earth countless times to convince Lucifer to return to Hell, Lucifer grew bored of being the Lord of the underworld. After abdicating the throne, Lucifer retired to Los Angeles for several years. in which Amenadiel tried convincing Lucifer to return to Hell under God’s orders.
Amenadiel is the eldest child of God and Goddess. As an angel child, he played with his siblings, however, he and the other older children often excluded Uriel from their activities. All of his siblings admired and looked up to him. Lucifer mentioned that Michael constantly annoyed him until he hit him with his "atomic wedgies".
Amenadiel was the one that gave Cain his mark.
Circa 1981, for unknown reasons, God asked something of Amenadiel that he never asked before; to go down to Earth and bless a couple who were unable to have a child of their own. That couple was John and Penelope Decker, who would then give birth to Chloe Decker. That was the first and only time God had ever asked Amenadiel to do anything in the same manner.
Throughout the Series Edit
|This section is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
In "Sympathy for the Goddess", an ancient Sumerian text claims that the key for the Flaming Sword was given to God 's favorite son. The key is revealed to be Amenadiel's necklace strongly implying that he is God's favorite.
In "Quintessential Deckerstar", Amenadiel thanked Charlotte for her help in successfully preventing Chloe and Pierce from getting married, but Charlotte's comment about still feeling the weight of her guilt has made Amenadiel wonder if angels were also their judges. Leaving the police station after getting the evidence from Charlotte's old firm, Amenadiel comes across a sobbing Maze who appears to be in distress for driving everyone away. While Maze had planned to tranquilize Amenadiel and take him to Pierce to be killed, Maze changed her mind when Amenadiel said that he would always be there for her while hugging. Later, after Charlotte helped to put away a killer, Amenadiel congratulated her for her deeds. While the two were talking on a bench, Marcus Pierce was hiding in the bushes and attempting to kill Amenadiel. Hearing something in the bushes, Charlotte pushes Amenadiel out of the way, taking two gunshots to her torso, thus saving his life.
Breaking down, Amenadiel speaks with Charlotte who succumbs to her wounds and dies. As he cradles her body, Amenadiel regains his wings and flies to Heaven with Charlotte's soul. Lucifer and Chloe find Charlotte's body and Lucifer realizes his brother has gone home.
In "Everything's Okay", Amenadiel came back from Silver City and confronted Lucifer. He told him about Charlotte, who is now in Heaven, which they both agreed she deserved. Later, he shows up at Linda's office, where he is surprised to see Linda punching Maze. The three of them made up and became friends again. Amenadiel then tells Linda about how his feelings changed while he was staying at Silver City.
Amenadiel also found out that Linda was pregnant with their child. Following a visit from Remiel, he planned to bring his son and raise him in the Silver City, but changed his mind when he saw how connected Linda was to Charlie.
Amenadiel struggles greatly with his calling as a father, and tries to be responsible in his efforts to clean up Lux in Lucifer's absence. This fails on numerous occasions, however, and he is unable to stop a simple drug transaction, which ends up embarrassing the LAPD when they approach a young teen selling prescription drugs.
When Amenadiel realizes that Michael has come to Earth in an effort to wreak havoc on Lucifer's life, Amenadiel travels to Hell to inform Lucifer that he must return at once and fix what has been broken. In his stead, Amenadiel once again remains behind to keep order in Hell.
Amenadiel returns from Hell shortly after on God's orders, much to Lucifer's surprise. He begins helping out the LAPD for a second time, and is able to help Chloe solve the murder of a nun; this helps bring him closer to God and restores his faith in what he had previously lost. With this, Amenadiel realizes that the relationship between Lucifer and Chloe is not as he first thought and that Lucifer is vulnerable around Chloe because he chooses to be.
Amenadiel quickly realizes that he now relies too heavily on his duty as a parent, and remarks to Maze that he is no longer sure of who he was before he became a father. Maze promises to show Amenadiel what he is missing, but this quickly goes wrong when the two kiss; it becomes clear that Maze too is missing who she used to be. Amenadiel later talks with Linda about these concerns and the fact that Charlie will no longer need the two of them someday.
Amenadiel is very head-strong, loyal, determined, disciplined, honorable, and righteous. Lucifer described him as a "major power-hungry dick", though he admitted that he and their other siblings all looked up to Amenadiel. He is extremely loyal to his father, God, and has shown great determination to complete whatever task he believes God wants him to do.
While not initially evident, it becomes clear that Amenadiel is jealous of Lucifer’s place as God’s ‘favorite’ son (Samael, which is translated as ‘God’s favorite’). He is thrilled when, having read in an untitled ancient tome that the key to Azrael’s blade, the missing third piece was given to God’s favorite son, and assuming that the piece was in Lucifer’s possession, he realizes that it was given to him - in the form of a necklace he always wears.
Like his brother Lucifer, Amenadiel is physically beautiful, handsome, and incredibly muscular, and has a powerfully built physique. Amenadiel shows disdain towards Hell and Earth. He rejects becoming the sovereign of Hell nor does he want to live on Earth. He looks down at humans and once called humans who were with Lucifer "poor creatures" who "know not what they do." However, after living on Earth he begins to understand humans more and even falls in love with one.
While generally trying to do "good", Amenadiel has at times deviated. While trying to force Lucifer to go back to Hell, he lied and manipulated Dr Linda Martin. He also resurrected Malcolm Graham from Hell for Malcolm to kill Lucifer. Goddess noted Amenadiel sacrifices a lot to be the "good son" but is never rewarded for all he does.
However, Amenadiel is not without remorse; when he befriended Linda to manipulate Lucifer he truly thought of her as a friend. When he realized his action had led to people being hurt, he felt guilty and sought to make things right.
When Amenadiel fell, he started to become weary of God's choices. He believes God is testing him but he is confused about what he should do. In season 3, he had concluded that Lucifer is his test, that God wants him to be there for Lucifer and be his "brother's keeper."
Amenadiel hides the fact he still cares deeply about Lucifer, but still acts in his best interest. When he saw Lucifer was on the verge of crying from using his pain to ignite the Flaming Sword, he stopped Goddess from forcing him to keep trying when it failed to stay lit.
When discussing names for their child with Linda, most of the names Amenadiel suggested ended in "el", which is an abbreviation of ‘Elohim’ one of the traditional Hebrew names for God - all names which end in ‘el’ connote a relationship with God (e.g. Samuel, Samael, Michael, Gabriel, Ezekiel). He also showed an aversion to the name Michael, thereby indicating that the two have a strained relationship.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Angel Physiology: As an angel, Amenadiel has their physiology including superhuman strength, speed, stamina, durability, endurance, agility, reflexes, resilience, senses, and intelligence, immortality, invulnerability, eternal lifespan, regenerative healing factor, flight, shape-shifting (being able to hide his wings) as well as their weaknesses. As the oldest Angel, and more specifically the highest-ranking Angel, he is extremely powerful, among the most powerful angels ever created by God, said to far exceed Uriel's power and proving capable of overpowering the likes of Remiel and Michael with Lucifer being the only angel seen to surpass his power, but even he, who is said to be the greatest of God's angels, could not defeat Amenadiel without considerable effort. Additionally, Amenadiel's incredible powers far exceed that of Uriel's. Furthermore, when Amenadiel was weakened and his wings are damaged, he was still stronger than humans, as shown when he easily held off three hospital security guards. After Charlotte Richards died to save Amenadiel, his angelic superpowers were restored and he was able to take her soul to Heaven.
- Superhuman Strength: Being the highest-ranking Angel and the eldest angel, Amenadiel is one of the strongest Angels ever created by God, having extraordinary levels of vast superhuman strength, far exceeding the strength of most other Angels, such as Uriel. While holding back, he could trade blows equally with Remiel, another known powerful and strong angel as a hunter, and once he stopped holding back, he easily bested her with a single punch. He also maintained the upper hand through most of his fight with Michael, making him struggle to hold Amenadiel's attacks back and easily pushing him around and lifting him off the ground. In his two first fights with Lucifer, Amenadiel was able to pummel his younger brother when he was holding back and allowing himself to be beaten, proving to be one of the few capable of harming the nigh-invulnerable Lucifer to the point of making him bleed severely, who had come out of a fight with the likes of Uriel, Michael, and Maze with little damage, and when Lucifer wanted to beat him, he was still able to put up an extremely good fight, with them fighting equally during most of the fight, punching him hard enough to make him bleed, and headbutting and then lifting and throwing him to the ground, only at the end of the fight was Lucifer able to beat him. Even after being weakened, he was still far stronger than humanly possible. Amenadiel has the strength to effortlessly overpower ten large men in combat, knock a man unconscious with just a mere jab, and pick large men up very high off of the ground with only one hand. Even without his celestial superpowers and angelic strength Amenadiel still maintained a high degree of superhuman physical force, specifically when he was able to break a large man's hand with a squeeze and was strong enough to throw another large man over 30 feet in the air. Amenadiel was even strong enough without his angelic powers and celestial strength to (eventually) defeat Cain in hand-to-hand combat and martial arts. With his celestial powers, he also easily overpowered Cain, (a very large man, who is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and has been alive for thousands of years).
- Superhuman Speed: Like all Angels, Amenadiel can appear and disappear with a blink of an eye, and they can run, move and fly at high velocities.
- Superhuman Stamina: Like all Angels, Amenadiel is very hard to tire, though without his power he had a human-like level of stamina.
- Superhuman Durability: Like all Angels, Amenadiel has a very durable body, which can withstand a vast amount of physical damage. Bullets and knives bounce off of his body. The only known things that can harm him is the Flaming Sword and demon daggers.
- Superhuman Agility: Like all Angels, Amenadiel possesses greater agility than humans, and possibly demons. He has remarkable balance, coordination, and agility, which allow him to quickly and easily move, dodge, duck, or catch anything thrown at him, such as speeding bullets, knives, arrows, daggers, etc. He can catch and dodge punches with ease and is fast enough to dodge and catch bullets.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Like all Angels, Amenadiel possesses remarkable reflexes and reactions, and he is effortlessly able to duck, dodge, and catch speeding bullets, daggers, arrows, and knives. His reflexes and reactions are so great that he can either dodge or catch multiple speeding bullets flying at him. His reflexes are far better than demons and humans.
- Superhuman Intelligence: Like all Angels, Amenadiel possesses a higher intelligence than humans. As noted by Lucifer, Amenadiel is also very studious, thus possesses vast knowledge, including (but not limited to) many dead languages.
- Immortality: being the firstborn angel, Amenadiel has been alive for untold eons, predating mankind and any of his angelic siblings. He is immune to all poisons, toxins, impurities, illnesses, diseases, radiation, infections, disorders, imperfections, and other harmful foreign substances. He also cannot be killed by conventional means.
- Resurrection: When a dying Malcolm was taken off the machine, Amenadiel brought him back to life from his ward window. He does this by taking a soul and placing it in a recently deceased body. Without his wings as a fallen angel, Amenadiel would be unable to travel to Heaven or Hell to retrieve a soul to revive someone. This power was presumably restored when his powers returned as he took Charlotte Richards to Heaven.
- Healing: Amenadiel is capable of channeling divine power to heal the wounds and harms of other beings. When resurrecting Malcolm Graham, he healed the gunshot wound that originally killed him.
- Flight: Like all Angels, Amenadiel has enormous, beautiful, dark wings which enable him to fly as long as he wants where ever he wants. His wings are extremely powerful, massive, and razor-sharp and can be used as a deadly weapon. His large angelic wings can also be used to generate great gusts of wind to create enough concussive force for many humans flying across the air.
- Dimensional Travel: When Amenadiel possessed his wings, he was able to travel between Heaven, Hell, and Earth. He lost this ability when his wings were damaged and his powers weakened. Upon regaining his wings, Amenadiel regained the ability to travel back to the Realm of Heaven. His first act upon regaining his angelic wings was to travel to Heaven with Charlotte's soul so that Charlotte can finally be at blissful peace in the afterlife.
- Chronokinesis: Amenadiel's greatest power, is his ability to slow down time. However, after committing several sins he started deeming himself unworthy of his powers, and he began to lose them, with his chronokinetic ability being the first one to fail. In "The Good, the Bad and the Crispy", Amenadiel was able to considerably slow time to allow Maze to save Linda. However, this took intense concentration and left him exhausted afterward. In "They're Back, Aren't They?", Amenadiel tells Lucifer that this appears to have been "a one-time thing" as he has since been unable to replicate the effect or use any of his other powers. This power was revealed to not have been restored with his full angelic form after meeting Remiel, possibly because of his newfound beliefs of connecting with humanity and his views of his powers. During a great moment of anguish, he succeeded in completely stopping time.
- Faith Reflection: When around people of faith, they will see their love of God reflected back at them when looking at Amenadiel, as he is a channel for God’s love. This led Him to realize that Lucifer’s ability to seduce people was because they saw their own desires reflected back by him, and thus, that Chloe’s immunity to Lucifer’s desire mojo was because her reactions were hers alone, not a mirrored or augmented angelic influence.
|“||Yes, no, Amenadiel is quite the warrior. Undefeated in battle, one of God's finest.||„|
|— Lucifer in City of Angels?|
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant/Martial Artist: Amenadiel is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant, one of the greatest fighters to date. He is shown on multiple occasions of being able to swiftly gain the upper hand against the demon Maze in a duel, even mocking her at times. Even without his powers, Amenadiel showed exceptional strength and experience in combat, mostly exhibited during his duel with Cain. He was able to hold his own and overpower the latter, who, while human, has been alive for thousands of years and is also a highly skilled combatant. He is even shown to be quite capable of competing with Lucifer and even overpowering him twice when Lucifer was holding back, although Lucifer is proven to be more skilled than him when he was fighting fully, as despite being able to fight against him on reasonably even footing, Lucifer dealt a more severe beating on him in their third altercation while not at full power.
- Time Slowing: At the beginning of the Tv Series Amenadiel had the ability to slow down time. In season two he began to slowly lose his powers till it seemed that they were completely gone. In season two episode eighteen, The Good, the Bad and the Crispy, Linda Martin gets shot and he manages to briefly bring his power back once more, slowing time so Maze can get her to a hospital and make sure she survives. Following that he again goes a long time where his power would appear latent until in season five episode eight Spoiler Alert he completely stops time for a fight between himself, Lucifer Morningstar, and Michael.
- Self Actualization: Angels are also under the same system of Free will and judgment as humans. Similar to how humans get judged to determine if they are to go to Hell, if an angel feels a sufficient amount of guilt, it could cause an angel to self-judge themselves as sinners and self-punish themselves to fall and become mortal. Because of Amenadiel's guilt and feelings of unworthiness, Amenadiel judged himself to guilty and caused himself to fall and lose his wings. His personal belief in the importance of connecting with humans on Earth and the role his powers over time had on them had caused him to lose access to the ability to manipulate time even after his angelic form was restored. It is implied by a conversation with Remiel that his time manipulation power has not returned because he believes he shouldn't use it. When consumed by the fear of his son growing old and dying before him, Amenadiel's subconscious state caused his power to control time to go out of control and surpass what he was previously able to do before he lost his power which was limited to only slowing time down initially.
|To edit this section, go to Lucifer Morningstar/Family.|
- Solid lines denote blood relationships
- Dashed lines denote romantic relationships
- † denote deceased individuals
|#2||"Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil."||Appears|
|#3||"The Would-Be Prince of Darkness"||Credit only|
|#8||"Et Tu, Doctor?"||Credit only|
|#9||"A Priest Walks Into a Bar"||Appears|
|#13||"Take Me Back to Hell"||Appears|
|#1||"Everything's Coming Up Lucifer"||Appears|
|#2||"Liar, Liar, Slutty Dress on Fire"||Appears|
|#7||"My Little Monkey"||Credit only|
|#8||"Trip to Stabby Town"||Appears|
|#10||"Quid Pro Ho"||Appears|
|#13||"A Good Day to Die"||Appears|
|#15||"Deceptive Little Parasite"||Appears|
|#17||"Sympathy for the Goddess"||Appears|
|#18||"The Good, the Bad and the Crispy"||Appears|
|#1||"They're Back, Aren't They?"||Appears|
|#2||"The One with the Baby Carrot"||Appears|
|#3||"Mr. & Mrs. Mazikeen Smith"||Mentioned|
|#4||"What Would Lucifer Do?"||Appears|
|#5||"Welcome Back, Charlotte Richards"||Credit only|
|#6||"Vegas With Some Radish"||Credit only|
|#7||"Off the Record"||Mentioned|
|#8||"Chloe Does Lucifer"||Appears|
|#10||"The Sin Bin"||Mentioned|
|#11||"City of Angels?"||Appears|
|#12||"All About Her"||Appears|
|#13||"Til Death Do Us Part"||Credit only|
|#14||"My Brother's Keeper"||Appears|
|#15||"High School Poppycock"||Appears|
|#16||"Infernal Guinea Pig"||Appears|
|#17||"Let Pinhead Sing!"||Appears|
|#18||"The Last Heartbreak"||Appears|
|#19||"Orange is the New Maze"||Appears|
|#20||"The Angel of San Bernardino"||Appears|
|#21||"Anything Pierce Can Do I Can Do Better"||Appears|
|#22||"All Hands on Decker"||Appears|
|#24||"A Devil of My Word"||Mentioned|
|#26||"Once Upon a Time"||Appears|
|#2||"Somebody's Been Reading Dante's Inferno"||Appears|
|#3||"O, Ye of Little Faith, Father"||Appears|
|#4||"All About Eve"||Appears|
|#6||"Orgy Pants to Work"||Appears|
|#7||"Devil Is as Devil Does"||Appears|
|#8||"Super Bad Boyfriend"||Appears|
|#10||"Who's da New King of Hell?"||Appears|
|#1||"Really Sad Devil Guy"||Appears|
|#2||"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!"||Appears|
|#4||"It Never Ends Well for the Chicken"||Mentioned|
|#10||"Resting Devil Face"||TBD|
|#11||"Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam"||TBD|
|#12||"Daniel Espinoza: Naked and Afraid"||TBD|
|#13||"A Little Harmless Stalking"||TBD|
|#14||"Nothing Lasts Forever"||TBD|
|#15||"Is This Really How It's Going To End?!"||TBD|
|#16||"A Chance At a Happy Ending"||TBD|
Behind the scenesEdit
- While Chloe was immune to Lucifer's charm, she was affected by Amenadiel's presence. Ella Lopez reacts similarly to Amenadiel, but she is not fully immune to Lucifer's charm.
- Amenadiel was the one who started the association of Lucifer to the figure of a goat, which Lucifer abhors. He spread the rumor a thousand years ago as a prank on Lucifer. Maze was the first person he told about it.
- In the comics, Amenadiel is a supporting antagonist. He is a strong angel who despises Lucifer and is bent on killing him.
- It is suggested in "Sympathy for the Goddess", that he is God's favorite angel.
- He has had relationships with both Maze and Linda, two of his brother's former lovers.
- At the beginning of the series, Amenadiel had the Ability to slow time. Later on, he lost that ability but in the episode Spoiler Alert he managed to stop time completely.
- Amenadiel at the DC Comics Datebase