Michael offers Lucifer a happy eternity in Hell by sending Chloe there. However, Lucifer isn't having it. Instead, Team Lucifer is facing off against Michael in a final stand for who gets to be the new God.
The episode opens with prisoners on a transport trying to get free. However, they steal the guard's gun and accidentally blows the driver's brains out. The result is the bus going off a cliff and tumbling downwards, killing everyone inside.
At Lux, Lucifer is drinking his sorrows away, as he couldn't get enough support to get elected God. Hearing his piano played off-key, Lucifer finds Michael at it, angering him. However, Michael suggests no fighting to avoid killing the humans in the crossfire. Lucifer barely agrees. Michael comes with an olive branch to avoid bloodshed. He offers Lucifer control of hell without any interference; while Michael gets the middle and high levels (i.e. Earth and Heaven). Lucifer laughs it off. Michael reveals he manipulated Dan's death to make Chloe feel guilty; so she will go to hell upon dying, ensuring both lovers can be together. Angered that Dan is in Hell because of Michael, Lucifer pushes him down. Michael tells Lucifer the vote will be tomorrow on Earth; since Lucifer will burn to a crisp if he goes to Heaven (due to God's banishment spell still being in place).
Amenadiel, Maze and Linda are cleaning out Dan's apartment. Amenadiel cheerfully looks at a picture of a baseball game Dan took him to. Maze grabs it, stating caring gives you nothing but pain. She tells them to just get it done. Finding an NYSNC shirt, Maze remembers back when she knocked him out and left him naked in Chloe's house back in Season One. She laughs at how impossible it was for Dan to have fit into that small shirt. Maze finally breaks down crying, missing one of her few friends. Linda and Amenadiel assure Maze that they wouldn't trade the last 5 years with Dan for not knowing him.
At Lucifer's penthouse, he's calming his nerves with some scotch. Chloe arrives, explaining Trixie is with Penelope and the Espinozas (Dan's parents) while they deal with Dan's passing. Chloe starts to apologize for what she said the other night, but Lucifer tells her that she was right; she said the thing he couldn't admit to himself, and that he wanted to be God for the wrong reasons. Now he HAS to be God for Dan's same. Chloe asks what he means. Lucifer reveals Michael orchestrated Dan's death and assembled the Flaming Sword. Chloe thinks it means Dan was silenced, but Lucifer clarifies Dan was killed to spark guilt in Chloe. Chloe is stunned, but Lucifer tells her that she mustn't give to the guilt the manipulation gives her. Chloe turns the tables telling him to feel worthy or be vulnerable again; which he cannot do consciously. Lucifer let's it slip Dan went to hell.
Remiel arrives, shedding feathers. She quickly falls over as Lucifer checks for a pulse; Remiel is dead. Lucifer guesses Michael figured out she was a double agent and slayed her with the sword. Chloe points out Remiel died a stab and there's no burn mark; it was just Azrael's blade. Meaning Michael hasn't completed the sword yet and they have a chance to stop him. Believing Remiel knew the location, Lucifer asks Chloe to be "the detective" once more so they can get Remiel's feather analyzed for clues. Chloe tells him that guilt is one thing, but channeling her anger is something she can do.
At the LAPD, Ella mourns Dan and does a "talk with God", feeling his absence without knowing it. She quotes "Papa Morningstar" about the darkness and light, feeling there's not enough light for all the darkness filling the place. Wanting a purpose, Ella is surprised by Lucifer and Chloe, who asks her to examine the feather. The results is that the powder coming off of it is yeast; Ella thinks Lucifer hit an emu. Chloe returns from records which reveal the yeast comes from a brewery, which TJ Ross, the necklace thief, operated out of. Lucifer has an idea that Ella can help them with.
Elsewhere at Lux, Maze tells Eve that she accepts her mortality; she doesn't want it to keep them apart. Eve accepts and they become partners.
At the beer factory, TJ is fighting off two angels. Michael arrives, asking for the necklace. The other two pin TJ and decide killing him is okay without their dad around to stop them from killing. However, Michael reveals himself as Lucifer; Ella applied a fake scar to his face to help him pretend. Lucifer lets TJ escape, only for Michael to arrive and kill him for the necklace anyway. Lucifer reveals Michael murdered Remiel, shocking his brethren. Michael attempts to light the sword, but is shot from behind by Chloe; she reveals it was a distraction to let Lucifer escape. She follows suit when Michael turns to look.
At home, Linda is over-concerned about Charlie falling when he tries standing. Amenadiel assures her that it's fine, but Linda wants to have Charlie see a specialist. Explaining that allowing Charlie to fall and get up on his own will help empower him, Amenadiel just laughs when Linda ignores him. Lucifer calls, informing Amenadiel of the sword and Remiel.
At night, Lucifer, Chloe and Amenadiel bury Remiel. Amenadiel is glad Remiel got to at least go out as a warrior, her desire. Lucifer curses God for his "mysterious ways"; if he had just named a successor, Michael wouldn't have caused the deaths of Remiel and Dan. Amenadiel is sure God meant for them to find their own way even if there was death involved. Lucifer laughs that having choice has done nothing but backfire on him; specifically not killing TJ for the necklace when Michael just killed him anyway. Chloe tells Lucifer what he did wasn't cowardly.
Chloe tells Lucifer that everyone on their side needs to fight Michael to ensure he does not become the next god. Lucifer tells her it must be metaphorical as Chloe can not harm an invulnerable angel. Maze arrives, telling Lucifer that Chloe can fight; she offers a demonic blade. Chloe is not good with knifes, but Maze has a way around that. Needing more reinforcements, Amenadiel suggests calling the Lilim from Hell into the deceased bodies to bolster their numbers. Maze is not pleased with a no killing rule, but she is in for a blaze of glory fight. "Well dad gave us the power of choice. What say we make one spectacularly bad one?" Amenadiel being a true warrior looks excited for the battle to come, as do Maze, whereas Chloe looks concerned but determined. They are all ready for going to war.
The next day, Lucifer and Chloe arrive at Los Angeles' Memorial Coliseum. Amenadiel arrives next. He informs them that they're reinforcements are taking longer than expected. Lucifer states they must stall. Reaching the field, Lucifer makes fun of Michael's choice of wardrobe. Lucifer demands a vote, much to Michael's laughter. Michael asks who won't vote for him; "typical Michael; all fear no substance". Lucifer tells his brethren that they don't desire him as God, but points out Michael is worse as he killed Remiel and is threatening them with the Flaming Sword. Lucifer attempts to reveal his motive, but Zadkiel steps in; he reveals Lucifer wishes to be god out of love for Chloe. While everyone else laughs, Zadkiel stands by Lucifer; he explains love being motive is what has earned Lucifer his vote.
However, no one else joins. Michael declares himself god, only for nothing to happen. Gabriel thinks it has to be unanimous; Michael believes removing the opposing votes will solve the problem. Lucifer quickly buys time by pretending his side has fallen under a singing spell caused by God's return. But Michael ain't buying it. Maze arrives with Eve and Lilim-possessed prisoners from the bus. Two angels take flight only to be grounded by Chloe shooting their wings; turns out she melted down the blade Maze gave her into bullets.
Lucifer invites Michael to a one on one fight; the stakes are the same as the deal Michael offered. Though Michael plans to eradicate Lucifer with the Flaming Sword. Seeing Lucifer needs a weapon, Amenadiel tosses him Zadkiel's staff, which is the last remnants of the Tree of Life. In the scuffle, Michael breaks the staff and knocks him to the entrance. When Michael attempts to kill Lucifer, he grabs Michael's hands; Chloe runs up on cue and pulls out the necklace, rendering the Flaming Sword weaker. Michael tosses the blade away and gives chase to Chloe. Lucifer rushes to get the blade.
Hearing wings flap, Lucifer turns to see Azrael. Lucifer assumes it means she is supporting him. However, Azrael sadly apologizes to him. A moment later, Michael impales Chloe with the staff. Lucifer cradles his dying love, who makes peace with her guilt. A furious Lucifer states that it's not Chloe's time and heads to retrieve her soul; Michael mocks him that he'll burn to a crisp when he gets to heaven. An infuriated Maze orders the demons to attack; Amendiel and Zadkiel join in.
In Heaven, Chloe is having a picnic with her father. They watch something crash in a blaze nearby. It turns out to be Lucifer, who is confused not only seeing he's not dead, but Lee Garner is there too. Lee explains he faced his guilt and left hell; the first soul to do so. Lucifer sees that the immortality Lilith had put in her ring is protecting him; but not for long. Lee helps him to Chloe. Giving her the ring with what little power is left, Lucifer slowly burns up; he explains he choose Chloe over himself because he loves her.
Chloe resurrects on Earth with Michael surprised. He attempts to stab her with Azrael's blade, only for Chloe to punch him away thanks to the strength the necklace grants her. Furious that Lucifer is gone, Chloe attempts to kill Michael. However, Lucifer's voice cries out for her to stop. He appears a moment later, surprising the other angels. Michael accepts that he's been beaten and kneels. Rather than execute him, Lucifer cuts off Michael's wings with the Flaming Sword, telling his twisted sibling that he is being given a second chance.
Chloe wonders how Lucifer can be there; he hasn't an idea himself. All of the angels and demons bow to Lucifer who realizes that his selfless love for Chloe made him God. "Oh my me" Lucifer mutters raising the Flaming Sword into the air.
- Tom Ellis as Lucifer Morningstar and Michael
- Lauren German as Chloe Decker
- Kevin Alejandro (credit only)
- D.B. Woodside as Amenadiel
- Lesley-Ann Brandt as Mazikeen
- Aimee Garcia as Ella Lopez
- Rachael Harris as Linda Martin
- Inbar Lavi as Eve
- Jeremiah Birkett as Lee Garner
- Chris Payne Gilbert as John Decker
- Vinessa Vidotto as Remiel
- Kimia Behpoornia as Gabriel
- Charlene Yi as Azrael
- Joel Rush as Zadkiel
- Ginifer King as Saraqael
- Miles Burris as Jophiel
- Craig Baxley Jr. as Guard
- David Buglione as Ibriel
- Kevin Douglas as TJ "The Fence" Ross
- Phil Kruse as Lucifer/Michael Acting Double
- Kellina Rutherford as Raziel
- Jay Kwon as Skinbonez
- "Paralized" - John & The Volta
- "Sabotage" - Emma Kern
- "New Blood" - Zayde Wølf
- "Dark Things" - ADONA
- "She Is Fire" - Moana A, Koda Kids
- "As We Fall" - Klergy, Katie Garfield
- "And So It Begins" - Klergy
- Michael is the one who says the title name in the episode.
- This episode was reportedly halfway through shooting when production was shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This was meant to be the final episode of Lucifer but the show got picked up for a sixth season.
- This is the only episode that Kevin Alejandro doesn't appear in.
- After Remiel dies, she gets buried beneath the same tree Lucifer is revealed to have buried Uriel under prior to the events of "Monster", after Lucifer killed Uriel in "Weaponizer".
- Lucifer's sacrifice for loved ones was hinted back in "Family Dinner".
- After seeing Michael's armor, Lucifer jokingly asks if winter is coming in a reference to Game of Thrones.
- Lucifer lies, arguably for the first time. While singing "U Can't Touch This" to stall Michael, Gabriel suggests that it must be God who's making them sing, and Lucifer supports this claim and says "Dad has returned!" even though he knows that this statement can not be true.
- Mazikeen speaks Lilim again. However, the subtitles get her battlecry wrong. While it says "Attack", the actual translation is "Kill them all".
- Heaven is revealed.
- Mr. Said Out Bitch is now in heaven; it turns out Lucifer helped him get past his guilt in Hell.
- This fact gives hope for Dan because Mr. Said Out Bitch is the first to get past his guilt and break his hell loop so it proves that humans do in fact have the ability to leave Hell and enter Heaven.
- In heaven, Mr. Said Out Bitch says “I don’t know what the fork any of that means.” The use of "fork" as an alternative to the f-word is a reference to the The Good Place. It also implies there's some kind of mental censoring in Heaven that keeps the souls from swearing.
- Before the showdown begins, Chloe, Lucifer, Amenadiel and Zadkiel sing the acapella version of "Can't Touch this" by MC Hammer.
- Many fans believe Chloe's screaming at Michael for taking "the man she loved" from her applies to both Lucifer and Dan as Michael seemingly caused Lucifer to sacrifice himself to bring Chloe back after having Dan murdered.